Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dave has given me inspiration to restore a plane. M neighbor had an old #4 that he gave me. I am using electrolysis to rmove the rust. Just curious how that goes;

Photo 1.jpg

Photo 2.jpg

Photo 7.jpg

Photo 5.jpg

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Electorlysis set up

I had to pay zero cost for this. I already had an old lap top PS that I used already to remove rust from a small piece of an old plane. The people that owned the house before me left lots of iron and steel scraps around.
And, I am a pack rat with cables LOL

I used three pieces of iron and surrounded the pieces. I hung the pieces from an old coat hanger. I made sure there was good connectivity by using alligato clips from each piece to the hanger
Photo 3.jpg

Photo 8.jpg

This is after 30 minutes:

Photo 4.jpg

·
7,222 Posts
Woo hoo, looking good. :clap:

I love seeing someone trying their hand at a restore. Even better if I inspired the person. :icon_smile:

This should clean up easily.

The casting looked more dirty than rusty. The electrolysis is likely to remove the paint.

The sole looks like someone used the plane on painted wood. I have had some planes with paint streaks on the sole. So far this has been easy to remove.

I am looking forward to the progress pictures.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Woo hoo, looking good. :clap:

I love seeing someone trying their hand at a restore. Even better if I inspired the person. :icon_smile:

This should clean up easily.

The casting looked more dirty than rusty. The electrolysis is likely to remove the paint.

The sole looks like someone used the plane on painted wood. I have had some planes with paint streaks on the sole. So far this has been easy to remove.

I am looking forward to the progress pictures.
I am not sure if I will do all of it electroliysis. Just didn't feel like doing it any other way LOL. I might leave the painted parts as is and get the rust of in a more traditional manner.

I was wondering if it would be easier to get all of the paint of and start from scratch or leave the existing paint on. It is scratched amd flaked in some places.

·
7,222 Posts
I was wondering if it would be easier to get all of the paint of and start from scratch or leave the existing paint on. It is scratched amd flaked in some places.
I have not tried painting over the factory jappaning so I am not sure how well the new paint will adhere.

The paint I am using was recommended by Timetestedtools, it is an engine enamel and so goes onto bare metal.

If the existing paint is flaking, so far I have removed all the paint to get back to a clean metal surface and re-painted.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
24 hours later

I just took out the three pieces I put in yesterday. Just used a scotch bright pad to get rid of the gunk. This is the result:
Step 1.jpg

I knew it would take the blue paint off that was the Stanley logo. I want this thing to be done from scratch so I will paint that later.

Next, the two larger pieces!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took a day off to tend to the Greenhouse :)

Got busy soaking clay pellets for my hydroponics system. Anyway, started on the body today. I used 5 pieces of iron, one bent in a "U" to surround the body and to get underneath. I want to see how well it not only gets the rust off but the paint as well. The paint was chipped and I plan on painting it from scratch. I will post the after pic tomorrow after I take it out.

This is the set up for it. Plus I like to see it bubble up! Wife is afraid I will grow some toxic monster in there! Looks like some primordial soup.
Photo 2.jpg

Photo 8.jpg

Photo 6.jpg

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I'm interested to see if it will remove all the japanning. I've done a couple of planes that had some japanning intact and remained so even after an electrolysis bath.

I know others have said that electrolysis will remove japanning, so I don't know if it's because of the lower amps and/or shorter times in the bath that I used or exactly what.

The planes I've done weren't too bad so they were only in a bath overnight (<24 hours) @3 amps. It may just be a function of amp/hours. I didn't want to do a complete restore, so wasn't concerned with complete removal of japanning, just getting rid of rust.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup, Electrolosis takes off japaning

Well,

Woke up this morning and took out the body. The rust was all gone and a quick 1 minute scrubbing and rinsing pulled the paint right off. Even in most of the nno and crannies. I used a small screwdriver to flake off a few small flakes in a corner.

Frog goes in next!

After 1.jpg

After 2.jpg

After 3.jpg

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Advice on paint....what paint should I use for the body and frog? Dave mentioned something earlier but I could not find the paint.

·
7,222 Posts
I recommend Dupli-Color Engine Enamel DUPDE1635 Ford Semi Gloss Black spray paint.
This is the paint I was referring to earlier. It is the same paint as on your No. 7. You should be able to find at a local auto-parts store, e.g., Advance Auto.

I read of this on Don's blog and other sites restoring hand planes. A good recommendation.

It is designed to be applied to bare metal, so no need for priming.

You do need to read the directions. Easy to spray, but if you want to apply more than 1 coat, which is recommended, the coats have to be about 10 minutes apart and all coats applied within 1 hour.

I apply 4 coats within the hour.

If for some reason additional coats are needed, you have to wait 7 days before you can re-paint. Not a typo, the paint needs to fully cure, which includes cross linking. This takes a long time. In Don's blog he mentions that some folks have been in a hurry and tried to re-paint before the 7 days. Big mistake. The new paint does not adhere, and is a major pain to remove.

·
7,222 Posts
Well,

Woke up this morning and took out the body. The rust was all gone and a quick 1 minute scrubbing and rinsing pulled the paint right off. Even in most of the nno and crannies. I used a small screwdriver to flake off a few small flakes in a corner.

Frog goes in next!
This cleaned up very well. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
While I have the frog in the electolosis bath thought I would do the brass. I had them soak in lemon juice and ketchup overnight. Chucked them and polished with 200-1000 grit.

I did not have a bolt to fit the knob so I used a cut out from poplar as a nut and a wood screw LOL....

Got the paint and just waiting for tomorrow to take the frog out. Need to do the wood tonight.
Brass 1.jpg

drill set up.jpg

on drill.jpg

1 - 20 of 41 Posts