Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
I just want to share some pictures of my first time chainsaw milling. I'd made my own gig for my stihl chainsaw to try and cut some slabs off a Australian jarrah tree that was only going to turn into fire wood.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ill get some pictures of it together its nothing flash. And using an under power saw for the job. But I found if I just take it nice and steady. I'm in no rush.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have some driftwood logs I would like do try that with to see if I collected anything worth keeping

·
Registered
146 Posts
Looking into my crystal ball, I see a bigger chain saw and much sawdust in your future! Always great to see someone's first efforts. Thanks for posting.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha thanks yes your crystal ball is spot on. There is a lot of this tree left to mill so ill be busy for a while. Iv only just filed my chain to make it a ripping chain. That should speed it up abit. The only down side is that we are coming in to summer. And we have fire bans for six mouths.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The wildfires in Australia have been making the news here in the U.S. Sounds like a pretty serious situation. Hope all is well. Do you have to stop running the chain saw in fire season?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hay. Yeh the wildfires are really bad on the east coast of Australia thay have lost at least 200 houses and today is forecast to be the worst day for fires with two fires about to join it gonna be hard to slow it down. There's about 2000 fire fighters there with more arriving today from around Australia. I'm on the western coast of Australia at we have still been getting record amounts of rain. Our fire ban starts in November then no chainsaw or anything that could spark even farmer have to limit the use of tractors. I hope thay stop the fire soon iv seen more pictures over here then you'd see over there and it's terrible

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I built an Alaskian type chainsaw mill for a BEAR MCCULLOCH CHAINSAW I had about 10 years ago. I had cut down Popular trees and was milling the wood. The logs were about 5 foot long. I had bought the longest bar to go on the chainsaw and I think it was like 32 inches long. Had two holes drilled in the bar to be able to bolt the mill I made to it. The cutting area was like 25 inches after mounting the mill on the saw. It would take me about 10 to 15 minutes to cut a slab and the saw would use a tank of gas per slab. I still have the mill, but not the saw. I hoping to get a bandsaw mill in the future. I don't have any pics of the mill, as of now.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Very nice aussie. I have heard that jarrah is quite hard. You have a nice piece of wood there, good value for a tank of gas :thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank chopnhack

I have an endless supply of jarrah and other hard woods so there will be lots more picture and comments ill be loading up some more pictures later today.

·
Registered
146 Posts
How's the market for the wood? Wish I could ship you a boatload of walnut in exchange for a load of your hardwoods. I think they'd sell well in certain markets here in the States.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeh the wood market is good. There are so many good wood workers. Locally. I'm only starting out. My father in law is a ex saw doctor. Because most of our big mills have shut down due to government logging laws. So all the really small mill do pretty well. The price of hard woods are huge and rare that's why I'm cutting my own.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You must be proud of that wood, to have a guard dog keeping an eye on it! Good idea. Every sawmill needs a "log dog". You've got sawdust in your veins, for sure-- no stopping you now!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha yeh she my log dog no one messes with her. She come out wooding every time. There is another one asleep just around the corner.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for the warning. If I'm ever in the neighborhood, I'll be sure to bring some bones (besides mine!). Happy milling!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haha there fussy dogs it would have to be cooked they don't eat uncooked meat for that reason and around my area thay bait foxes with poisoned uncooked meat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm also looking for a moisture meter to test my wood. If any one has and sites I can look at or what brand you use??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts