Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I am not a pine person, I guess because my first experiences with it were bad.
I'm just not used to seeing such straight boards.
Anyway, what grade lumber did you buy?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I am not a pine person, I guess because my first experiences with it were bad.
I'm just not used to seeing such straight boards.
Anyway, what grade lumber did you buy?
Though the lumber did not come from a "big box" store, it did come from a local retailer specializing in treated lumber and composite deck boards. The table top is nothing but premium grade 5/4 (4/4 actually) deck boards ... treated lumber. All the wood in this project is treated lumber suitable for ground contact.

Here is a link to TLO ... https://www.treatedlumberoutlet.com/ ... located in Hampton, VA

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You did a fantastic job on the table and chairs. the thing that stands out to me is first the quality of workmanship, beautiful, what i really like is the contrasting colors. great job!
Thank you! Color was a concern to me. Original idea was to just go brown and black, but then it would simply resemble the deck. The lighter boards were also a concern because I feared it may look gawdy. I like it, and those that don't have been polite by not telling me so. <LOL>

·
Registered
333 Posts
Very nice job!

From the look of the last pics you posted, the table will not be covered, e.g. under an awning? I can't tell from the images, but did you add space between the boards making the top, to allow water to run through?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Very nice job!

From the look of the last pics you posted, the table will not be covered, e.g. under an awning? I can't tell from the images, but did you add space between the boards making the top, to allow water to run through?
Table is not covered ... fully exposed to the weather. Will be covered during winter months ... generally November though March. A photo in post #1 shows the board spacing gaps, and post #19 is where mentioned having to increase those gaps from 1/8" to 1/4" because of swelling. Thank you for your concern.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts