Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
pburri said:
Dave, Nice square platter. I just tried my first one recently. It is Afrormosia (a teak species from West Africa). Sanding was tricky but I am healing nicely. Paul Santa Barbara
Love it Paul, nice job. Here in Australia it is very Australian to laugh when someone gets hurt. You can be the best of mates but you will still laugh. I started laughing when I read
but I am healing nicely
. I am all to familiar with the 'hurts' from sanding live edge and square edge. Keep safe, love your platter Dave The Turning Cowboy

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I am all to familiar with the 'hurts' from sanding live edge and square edge. Keep safe, love your platter Dave The Turning Cowboy
I wear heavy construction gloves when I'm sanding odd shaped turnings . Along with those I use this , a stick of polystyrene well layered with 50mil insulation tape as a sanding wand with double length of sandpaper looped over it
The wand works equally well in both sanding directions , so the over- rounded-diametrically-opposite-sanding-problem is avoided .

The gloves also come in handy when roughing down splintery wood

Attachments

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Nice Dave, very nice.

Reactions: DaveTTC

·
Registered
58 Posts
Laughing Oz

Dave TTC,

That's why I love Aussies. They put things in the proper perspective. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger - or perhaps a little wiser.

P.S. On a recent vacation we met a nice couple from Wagga Wagga. Only Aussies would give a place a name like that.

Best,

Paul
(Santa Barbara, CA)

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
pburri said:
Dave TTC, That's why I love Aussies. They put things in the proper perspective. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger - or perhaps a little wiser. P.S. On a recent vacation we met a nice couple from Wagga Wagga. Only Aussies would give a place a name like that. Best, Paul (Santa Barbara, CA)
Im all offended now ... you were in Wagga Wagga and did not visit me. Im only 165 km away, just over a 100 mile. I would have even popped over to you for a coffee.

If you're ever back this way be sure to stick in your head in or let us know you are here. Be great to catch up with some international forum brothers.

On an Aussie site 'Woodwork Forums' and we have regular get togethers. Not unusual for me to drive 300 - 700 km one way for such a get together.

Regards

Dave The Turning Cowboy

21 - 27 of 27 Posts