Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is a good gun for spraying finish on smaller furniture pieces? I have been using a foam brush to apply poly on the few projects I have done already but I think I would get much better results with spraying.

I don't want anything fancy or expensive, I just have no idea what to start with. Something available at a big box store or Amazon would be preferred, and something below $150. I do have a small Dewalt pancake compressor that could be used, or is a small HVLP unit a better choice for a beginner?

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,585 Posts
I received this gun from Rockler as a gift, and recently starting using it. I have only done latex with it so far, but am real happy with its ease of use, and how easy it is to clean.

Hope this helps

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Complicated isn't exactly the right word....contrived?Don't know.....

Spraying,whether it's auto body,furniture/woodwork,insectacides,pressure washing,etc,etc involves some equipment that's outside of most folks range of experiences.Well,if you've never been involved with it?

So,be prepared to buy some items that you may look back on a few years from now and wonder..."what was I thinking?".For instance...you go into the subject(spraying stuff) thinking one size of item,then you find out that the size changes and now it's much larger.Or the species of item changes.....nice office desk/dining rm table,ain't exactly the same as spraying the fence in the backyard.You obviously know this but......just sayin,there's an excellent chance your criteria will change in a cpl years.

The more specific the item...the more specific you can get with your setup.And you'd do yourself a big favor to look at the subject as a "system" rather than individual pcs.Big guns need big hoses and big AC's(air compressors).The more unusual your climate conditions...the more attention must be paid...and on&on&on&on.

Go buy a "kit" gun from one of the cheaper places(HF,Northern Hyd,sLowes,etc).It should come with a variety of either guns,or tips or whatever.You'll drop some cash......it's just the beginning.Next you'll make some mistakes in filters.....then find out your hose is too small.

But if you perservere,you'll be very glad you did.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have experience with paint guns but it was spraying automotive paint many years ago. I think the Critter gun may be a good starting point, I will try it out.

·
Registered
185 Posts
So I'll share what I have tried this summer to mixed success. I spent $200 on a big-ish Husky 20 gallon compressor and a siphon feed spray gun (again, a Husky - they seem ok). Keep in mind that this compressor is the bare minimum for this stuff, it barely keeps up - I've had it run full tilt without taking a break for 20-30 minutes at a stretch. Unless I'm going nuts with a constant spray for 5+ minutes it seems to keep up, but you can beat it down if you are unrelenting.

It is very hit or miss. I fool around a lot trying to thin down latex primer and paint to make it really tick - and the tip constantly gets gunked up and requires that I wipe it off with my thumb to restore flow rate. All that being said, wow has my finishing speed improved with this rather than foam rollers and paint brushes! Even with the annoyances this thing is a joy to use compared to the old way. I think I knock out more painting in an hour with this than I used to do in 4-6 hours with rollers, seriously.

I want to try a gravity fed gun next, and I will be going to Harbor Freight for it this time. Friends and posters here say it works, and I think it will be easier than fooling with thinning stuff constantly trying to get it to feed from my siphon gun.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
26,318 Posts
For wood finishes I use a Harbor Freight #97855 I get for about 20 bucks. They are so cheap I have four of them so I can keep two just for clear finishes, one for wood stain and one for paint. I have sprayed automotive paint with them but they don't atomize well enough for that application and made the job more labor intensive.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I bought this set from Harbor Freight on sale for $38 bucks

and used the big gun to Paint my 1961 Lonestar Boat & Trailer. It came out BEE-U-TEE-Ful.

I used the small gun to spray Poly, Varnish, and Shellac in the shop. It works great too.

I also have a cup gun that I used prior to the guns above

I bought from HF for $10 bucks that I can put Plastic liners in and can put a cup of varnish in it and then throw the plastic liner away. Cleanup is just run 1/4 cup of Mineral spirits thru the gun, wipe it down and done. It's 10 yrs old and works as good as the day I bought it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
By the way... The HVLP system that Rockler sells is the exact same one that Harbor Freight has, though it is branded differently (Chicago Electric). It's on sale right now for $119.99 and I was able to print a 25% off coupon on top of that. Item #44677

1 - 11 of 11 Posts