Woodworking Talk banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
In general, compared to a lot of other woodworkers I'm not a fan of or skilled with hand sanding. Sometimes I use a 1/16" round over bit, but at that small scale you really aren't very aware of the shape, whether it is round or a chamfered 45 degree flat. Doing it with a block of wood and sand paper is very easy and quick. Try it on a piece of scrap with an edge one or two feet long. Stroke in the direction of the edge.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Ok - the following might be a stupid question but here goes. I've cut most all the pieces and sanded with 120 and 220 Grit sandpaper. I'm close to glue-up - question is - Does it make sense to stain and poly BEFORE glue up? Or should I stain / poly after glue-up. Obviously a lot easier to apply the finish before assembly. If I glue up after poly, would the glue work on 'coated' surfaces?

Table Wood Rectangle Flooring Wood stain
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Flooring Cable

·
Registered
65 Posts
I did a similar project few years ago and I also prestained everything that had to be put together so it would get uniform color the downside was I had to tape all the glue joints before staining or sealing. i did not have good way to the stain after it was done. too many small places to do.

i am sure others will some good ideas to do this.

good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Thanks Biotec, I wonder if there is an easy way to mask the dados.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry to say there is no real easy way.

in the dados. I use 3/4 inch tape for the bottom of the joint. Split the tape for the sides.

maybe the next time I might make blocks that would fit into the bottom of the dado tight and eliminate that part of the taping. also take them out before the stain dries to avoid tare out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
OK time for a quick update and a question. This is how far I’ve gotten with the bookcase. My wife and I caught Covid sequentially and I lost about a month on the project. Anyway it turned out better than I expected. I did the best I could with the blind dados. I messed up a bit doing the glue up and ended up with about a 16th inch gap in the front of one of the shelves on the center bottom.

question: to make the top section of the bookcase I need to make some 30° cuts. I tried tilting the sawblade to the 30 deg. mark but that makes 60° cuts from the horizontal. Is there a way to achieve this with the tablesaw?
Property White Building Window Architecture
Triangle Font Handwriting Creative arts Rectangle
Shelf Furniture Wood Shelving Chair

41 - 47 of 47 Posts