Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built this as a place for my kids to put thier toys. My wife bought one of those target specials made of particle board awhile back and it was on the verge of failing and hurting the kids.

It's made from pine and I stained it dark because prior my wife wanted other wood furniture we have painted black :thumbdown: and so I thought this might get her to realize stain is better. I'm going much lighter next time.

I know where all of the flaws are but all in all it came out well. Big learning curve and my next project will look tons better.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
This project is a very nice start for your adventures in woodworking. I don’t see a lot of flaws, so I’ll take your word for it. The dark stain works fine. Pine is tough to stain (for me it is anyway). Keep at it!

·
Registered
371 Posts
looks great for a first project! Did you use some sort or pre-stain conditioner? It looks like it stained fairly even. Im a fan of lighter stain on pine too.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome Snook

looks great to me! I use a sealer before I stain pine to get a even stain seems to work pretty good. I can also atest to the fact that if you miss a spot sanding (like some where on the inside of the case!) that pine will also get a little blotchy, even with a sealer.
Good luck on your next project!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not use a preconditioner although I did rub it down with mineral spirits a few minutes before I applied the stain. It didn't come out blotchy like I've read about however, it is darker close to the knots. i expected that and so I'm not upset.
I learned a few things, 1 make sure I sand a little better in the corners (I had to get a chisel and scrape out a little squeeze out that I had missed after the first stain). 2 first projects take a long time because I had to make a jig for the dados, and finish my router table before I could do the rabbets. 3 general learning curve. I grew up building fences and helping my dad finish the inside of buildings, but thats construction, furniture is more precise!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Very nice! The cool thing is that you can easily expand on that bookcase down the road to further your skills. ie: add a faceframe, heavy base with scrolled feet, crown molding etc. You have a nice functional piece there as it is. Nice job.

·
BBQ Master & Competitor
192 Posts
Good Job. Was your wife happy

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wife was happy! and I did add some molding to the face but it was just strips I ripped from 1/4" birch ply. Mostly helped to cover up the joints. I would like to add later, but with 4 boys, anything too ornate will end in destruction!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
alright! I like the dark, too, and dark mottling is great at hiding dings.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Snook I was just showing my wife some of the projects everyone has made and she commented that you should make sure it is attached to the wall so your boys do not pull it over onto
themselves and get hurt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts