Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first real project - quilt stand. I used red oak. For jointing - domino ( and love this machine). But what to use for cover. I don't really want to change color of wood - it is a pretty texture. Maybe just poly cover with a 3-4 sanding?
Any advice please would be welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'd suggest one coat of sprayed sanding sealer (if you haven't already done something to the bare wood), then about 3 coats of sprayed lacquer. That's all we ever use on red oak, and that first coat of sealer will pop the grain. Anything you use on red oak, even natural stain, will change the color.

Nancy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for advices. I did not apply any finish, just used mineral spirit to clean up the wood. Now , as I understand I can use only oil-base coating

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have quit using the toxic ones.....I have lost enough brain cells without doing it as a hobby. Water based all the way........I use it for everthing. Purist or not.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Easiest finish

If you're like me and don't have a sprayer and booth, the easiest finish is to wipe on a tung oil finish. If you get a tung oil finish (not pure tung oil) you can select between low, semi, and high gloss depending on the brand. Tung oil is almost fool-proof, and doesn't leave that thick plastic look of polyurethane. Instead, it gives a nice warm glow to the wood without hiding the grain. The best part is it's so easy to repair in the future. If it gets a nick or scratch, just buff up the area a little and put on another coat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you all, I will go with tung oil finish. I don't have a spray and I always want to try this finish:icon_smile:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am trying to apply stain to a clock made from Ash and where the glue has run the stain is blotchey. What can I do to correct? Not a lot of glue, just enough to cause some concern

·
Registered
373 Posts
None of the "tung oil finishes" contain any tung oil. The two most popular are Formby's tung oil finish which is a very thin wiping varnish made with soya oil and alkd resin and Minwax tung oil finish made with polyurethane varnish.linseed oil and thinner a.k.a. Danish oil. If want a wiping varnish why not make your own. You can adjust the amount of thinner to suit yourself and save some money.

Regards

Jerry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts