Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,585 Posts
Well my workbench took 3 weeks not a weekend, but I work days and didn't have much help. The end vice has to be offset to account for the length of the side winch in its fully closed position. I'll add a picture from underneath later as I have someplace I have to go for now. Thanks.
Now that you have had the bench for 7+ months, have you had a chance to use it? How are you liking it? Would you change anytthing with it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
You don't have to go thru the trouble of the photo. After asking around I think that I can do it. Unless you had some unknown problem. Many thanks. I am going to start on mine soon. I doubt if it will tale 1 weekend.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I really like it, I'm not sure enclosing the bottom was ideal. I should have made power tool compartments on the lower shelves open to the sides. Its rock solid and dead flat. One change I made to the plans was to add 1/8 hardboard to the top that sits in a recess on the edging boards. I knew I would biff up the top with glue and stain so I wanted to be able to replace it easily. The vises are ok, I was out of budget when I bought them. I bought them on amazon and they are definitely better than the harbor freight ones.

Olympia Tools 38-736 6-1/2" Hobby Woodworker'S Vise - Amazon.com

If you can afford it, buy better vises. and if you can afford it buy bigger ones. Remember you need to hollow the edging out along the sides to recess the vise in the edging before you add the edges.

·
Registered
653 Posts
That looks like a good solid bench. It really does not matter how long it takes to build, what counts is how long we get use out of it. I expect that you bench will be around and in use for a long time. Good job.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts