Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have no shop, but my parents' neighbor has an old shop out back he built after he retired. He lost all his retirement when the market dipped so it's set silent for years. He sold most his tools, so all I have access to is an old craftsman saw with a fence that shifts 1/16-3/32 from tip to tail when you clamp it and a planer I purchased recently. Oh, and a skill saw with whatever 60 tooth blade was in it when I dug it out of the basement - so don't mind the burn marks on the cross cuts. *cough* (I found a blade more suited for the task, so no more burns)

I promised my brother and his wife I'd make them a piece of furniture when they purchased their first house at the beginning of the year. Well...I'm finally getting to it, but with such limited tools/quality and no real experience it's taken me 2 weeks to get this far.

It's about 40 bf of what was supposed to be FAS maple that was pretty rough (as you can see on the 8/4 pieces) and 4 bf of padauk. The objective to have it finished by Thanksgiving so I can bring it across state when I visit them.

I was going to post a bunch of pictures, but I know they'd be over-sized and most don't like that and I don't know how to adjust it. So here's a link to a small album.

http://imgur.com/a/jT8i9#0

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I have a craftmans table saw and a FENCE that shifts also. I am either going to get a new fence for it or a new SAW! Due to the STUPID web securities here at work, I cannot see your album. I will have to look at it when I get home.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a craftmans table saw and a FENCE that shifts also. I am either going to get a new fence for it or a new SAW! Due to the STUPID web securities here at work, I cannot see your album. I will have to look at it when I get home.
I've found that with some careful measure from the fence to the inside of the cutout line of my zero-clearance insert at both the front and back I have been able to get cuts that are accurate to withing 2/10ths of a mm over a 40+ inch cut. The only down side it is takes me about 5 minutes of fence resetting and a test cut to get there.

But hey, a free shop to work in and a few pieces of equipment? I shouldn't complain!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Updated album with a few more picture tonight. Started mortising for the decorative inlays. Other than that, the 2 main things remaining is leveling the table top and bottom shelf and attaching the breadboard ends to both.

On track to finish by Thanksgiving? Probably not!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts