Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off please dont hate on the table :smile: Just bought some property, house and shop and funds are tight. So haven't been able to buy or build the equipment I eventually want. So took my old craftsman, some left over 2x4s, and picked up some MDF and threw together a table saw, router table, work bench all in one.

Been working on a green house for the most part but SO started her new teaching job and needed a cubbie system for the kids. The pre manufactured ones were out of her budget so I decided to build one. Think it turned out pretty good, all though I don't think a classroom of 3rd graders are really going to appreciate it.

Note to self, when install a table saw that you cant move around the shop dont build it exactly 8' from the counters or you will not be able to push large sheets.

Here are some pics from build process

Sorry about poor pic quality, just cell phone pics snapped as I went. Let me know what yall think

jig for router

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Good work....

I'm jealous of the workbench....nice size space to work on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, but it will eventually be revamped. The table saw fence makes it a measure twice setup and I had to use the router plate to mount the router, lol, so its not the smoothest surface to slide across.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Very nice. I like the contrasting woods. I made a pair of cubbies similar to yours a while back for a niece of ours who is a school teacher. But mine were all pine with Masonite horizontal dividers. Yours looks nicer than the ones I made.

P.S. I don't think anyone is going to be hating on that table. A lot of us might be jealous though. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum. We seem to have had a little surge of new members who've made some cool and nice stuff. You definitely fit right in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Steve. I appreciate the compliment.

I have enjoyed the table so far but it's not the most accurate and measuring your cuts can be more than time consuming. Maybe eventually with a better saw I can throw a good INCRA into the mix and a decent router table insert. (Tired of crawling under the table each time I want to change bits)

Once again glad to be here, been lurking for at least a year just have been so busy have had nothing to show

·
Banned
615 Posts
I love it. Am sure it will last years. As far as your table, i'm jealous too. The measure twice thing? I measure 5 or six times on mine and it's not built into a table. My cuts still come out like crap. The wife just doesn't understand how badly I need a new one. I've been hounding her ever since I got this one. (free by the way from her dad) crap, now i've started...

Nice cubby!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I'm already jealous. Here is yet another guy with an actual shop. :laughing: :eek:

Nice table and very nice cubbies. Be careful though. The school may decide they want matching sets in all the classrooms (donated of course as a PTA project).

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Be careful though. The school may decide they want matching sets in all the classrooms (donated of course as a PTA project).
I know all about that trap. I've been asked to make two sets of bean bag toss games for the school's annual action. I said I would as long as they don't call them "corn hole". I hate that name.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I can't see a single thing wrong with the table but I am new to woodworking and basically most things look good. :)
The cubbies are great. I was thinking shoe cubbies actually. She'll be able to bring that each year for many moons.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Dwillems26 said:
. The wife just doesn't understand how badly I need a new one. I've been hounding her ever since I got this one. (free by the way from her dad) crap, now i've started...

Nice cubby!

They never do...

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
That's a really nice setup you've got there. I'm in a corner of the basement that's plastic sheeted off.

And the cubbies look great!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
johnnie52 said:
I'm already jealous. Here is yet another guy with an actual shop. :laughing: :eek:

Nice table and very nice cubbies. Be careful though. The school may decide they want matching sets in all the classrooms (donated of course as a PTA project).
Just realized how to quote.

At the price of lumbar these days there will be no donating

Well unless she gets an automatic raise. But I'm sure the shoes and purses she buys won't pay for more equipment

1 - 15 of 15 Posts