Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
first post, hope it works, toy box I made for nephew. only made about 8 or 9 real items so far. could't afford to make it out of solid wood, so its birch ply and mahogany trim. first time I worked with mahogany, did't really like it, seemed to chip easy, not cut very clean and not sand very smooth. and feedback is welcome, good or bad

tell me how fast the picture loads, its 800k, dont know if thats big or small

here is a second picture, not very good quality

·
Registered
404 Posts
J4F,

Isaac has gotta love that box. That's really nice....;) ;) ;)

Nothin' wrong with birch plywood. Mahogany is a bear to work with, but it also has it's rewards...

Thanks for the pics and keep up the good work...:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey I like that mixture of natural wood and stain (?) or paint. Nice. Good job on posting the pictures too. It loads fine. Dial-uppers may have to wait a little but maybe not too long.

Welcome!

its colored stain, about 3 coats and then a poly

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
J4F,

Isaac has gotta love that box. That's really nice....;) ;) ;)

Nothin' wrong with birch plywood. Mahogany is a bear to work with, but it also has it's rewards...

Thanks for the pics and keep up the good work...:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
thanks, :smile: I got a few more projects I might post later.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are those dovetails or tapered splines ?
Im guessing your speaking about the "feet" I call them box joints, not sure if thats the proper name, cut them like a dovetail but with a straight bit. It was my first crack trying them out, I like the look.

If your talking about something else... excuse me.... Im a bit new to all of this. Im self taught so I dont know many of the proper terms.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I really like the toy box. I especially like the puzzle name.
thanks, I free-handed it, so its not perfect.... Im sure we all have parts of our projects we see mistakes but no one else does... but I really like the "I" it looks like an actual puzzle piece.

Im glad people post finished projects on here. it gets the wheels turning. not so much to "steal" ideas but just take away a few things and apply them to a different project.

BigD I looked at your gallery, you do great work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey nice toy box.

What are the dimension of the toy box?

What did you use to do the puzzle letters?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the nice comments

I freehanded the letters on a scroll saw and then used a quarter round to soften the edge. I put on 3 coats of colored stain. I dont know the size, it was about 4 feet wide, 2 feet deep and 2 feet tall.... without the top and feet

1 - 14 of 14 Posts