Woodworking Talk banner

First piece of furniture

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  was2ndlast 
#1 ·
This forum helped me tons. Wife is happy. What else can I ask for?

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
Right now I can only make square stuff (need. Band saw) and I wanted a floating drawer look. It's a very simple design which is important since I'm not very good. The hardest part to design we're the brackets. The wood is heavy so I didn't want to hang it off the top for fear of stress so I came up with these where all the force is on the legs which are stout. Drew the sketches and my neighbour made them out of stainless for me. After construction, design is my favourite part.

Thanks for the feedback, it'll keep me going.

#12 ·
It's got really big pores but sands well. I used a scraper to get it smooth then sanded up to 400 grit.

I sprayed target coatings em6000 in satin using hvlp. It 'a a wb acrylic lacquer. I wanted pre cat but it's hard to find for me and I've never sprayed so wasn't sure I wouldn't blow myself up in my homemade spray booth.

Took 5 coats, could have done more cause of the pores but wife liked it and I was worried it would cloud up with lots more coats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.