Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
Cabinetmaker
157 Posts
The real "acetone-based" nail polish remover will also work - not the acetone-free stuff.

Believe it or not, Extra Virgin Olive Oil can also be used to unstick any cyanoacrylate glue (AKA: superglue) from the skin. Just apply it to the problem and let it set for a few minutes. It will gradually loosen the adhesion. When it loosens, rub the skin with your finger, or a handkerchief, in a circular motion to remove any traces. The heat from the rubbing helps with further removal. Then, wash the contaminated areas and your hands with warm (not hot)" soapy water to finish the job. The best part-- no burning, rash or redness occurs, which happens sometimes with any chemical agent used. Common liquid dish detergent works the best for the washing.

It doesn't work great for surface removal (I use acetone for that), but it does a good job on the skin.

Even when wearing rubber gloves sometimes, the glue may somehow find its way to your arm or elbow. That's why, I keep a small cooking spray bottle with the oil in my shop (near my first aid kit for quick access) -- just in case.

- Bob

·
Premium Member
Cabinetmaker
157 Posts
I bought some pen kits and a mandrel a few weeks back. I helped my daughter turn this on Saturday morning for her grandma.

View attachment 444847

Then I made two more...
Walnut
Black locust
Ash
View attachment 444848

Then I made four more this morning
Acrylic and Curly Maple
White oak
View attachment 444850
View attachment 444849

I may have just ordered 50 more pen kits just now...
It sounds like you're really into turning pens. I've never tried it, but it sounds like it may be an enjoyable combo with woodturning.

While ordering some Christmas gifts from Lee Valley Tools website, I noticed something that may interest you.

If you ever need just the acrylic pen-turning blanks, without the entire kit, Lee Valley sells them. I don't know where you purchase your pen supplies, but they carry many assortments of turning blanks -- and also pen kits. Prices may or may not be comparable to what you pay, but they do have large selections to choose from. I can also tell you that it's free shipping on all $40 plus orders.

I just wanted to share my find with you and other forum members. In case you don't already have it, there website is: Home - Lee Valley Tools

- Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts