Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some pen kits and a mandrel a few weeks back. I helped my daughter turn this on Saturday morning for her grandma.

Hand Finger Thumb Wood Jewellery

Then I made two more...
Walnut
Black locust
Ash
Food Plant Wood Ingredient Dish

Then I made four more this morning
Acrylic and Curly Maple
White oak
Cosmetics Brush Writing implement Writing instrument accessory Wood

Writing implement Wood Musical instrument Pen Office supplies

I may have just ordered 50 more pen kits just now...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Public service announcement:
Acetone helps unstick CA glue when you glue a blank to your finger.

I added some super thin CA to the Ash blank and it seeped through the pores to the other side of the blank...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The real "acetone-based" nail polish remover will also work - not the acetone-free stuff.

Believe it or not, Extra Virgin Olive Oil can also be used to unstick any cyanoacrylate glue (AKA: superglue) from the skin. Just apply it to the problem and let it set for a few minutes. It will gradually loosen the adhesion. When it loosens, rub the skin with your finger, or a handkerchief, in a circular motion to remove any traces. The heat from the rubbing helps with further removal. Then, wash the contaminated areas and your hands with warm (not hot)" soapy water to finish the job. The best part-- no burning, rash or redness occurs, which happens sometimes with any chemical agent used. Common liquid dish detergent works the best for the washing.

It doesn't work great for surface removal (I use acetone for that), but it does a good job on the skin.

Even when wearing rubber gloves sometimes, the glue may somehow find its way to your arm or elbow. That's why, I keep a small cooking spray bottle with the oil in my shop (near my first aid kit for quick access) -- just in case.

- Bob
I really appreciate that!

I was using acetone nail polish remover for the CA de-sticking, but I had no clue about the olive oil.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you set up a Christmas tree at your house, try turning simple ornaments sometime. I find those very addicting!
I was looking at those, but didn't want to pay $3 for a 5gram bit of brass.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I made 3 more today and prepared 20 blanks... I'l post photos tomorrow

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
nice work on the pens looks like another has become addicted.after doing hundreds of them ive been on hiatus for the last few years.in fear if i did one more id be back at it again.the thing is finding a way to get rid of em.there are only so many people you can give them to. i used to do pretty well selling them at work.
LOL, yeah, I haven't hit terminal mass yet in my family...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not bad for an hour's work or so... I'm getting this down. I still need to turn some maple for the tip halves of many of the acrylic caps. I'm not sure which goes best with the walnut. What are your thoughts?

Natural material Wood Animal product Pattern Font

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Nov 20 I made my first pen. Dec 2 I am probably around 50 pens. I really didn't mean to get hooked. Honestly...
Animal product Eyewear Cuisine Wood Body jewelry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts