Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been able to use my lathe in several months. And since I've had a lathe less than a year, I'm still a rookie by far. This is a clicker gel pen kit with Cocobolo wood. I used the GF Turners Finish for the first time. I did 6 coats with sanding after 2 & then micro mesh after 6. I'm moderately happy with it. I just need to work on my turning itself. This will be my pen to use at work as I want to see how the finish holds up.

Mark

Attachments

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the design of it.
It looks comfy to hold.
Looks can be deceiving. I designed this based on what I thought I'd like. After using it for a few days, I will say I'd like to make some changes, at least for me to like it. The lower (tip end) bump is too fat. The valley is a little to deep compared to hills. And the upper hill is too fat as well. I am going to try to make another this weekend if I can pick-up some kits. (I live near www.woodnwhimsies.com and pick my supplies up at their warehouse to save shipping.)

Nice work, Christmas Gift Time!
I'm planning on a making some pens (among other things) this year for Christmas gifts. I'm tired of buying stuff & have moved into the make mode. I have "some" skills and I probably enjoying making the items more than the receivers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts