Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does a partial natural edge bowl count? Anyone care to lend some tips on how to sand a bowl with a void? I seemed to have difficulties trying to sand with the lathe running. I couldn't seem to get rid of some of the end grain tear out or I was just impatient. Probably the latter.

Bowl Wood Table Varnish Furniture
Bowl Wood Sink Tableware Mixing bowl
Bowl Wood Table Furniture Interior design

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I like it -- in fact I've got one very similar in my car right now, taking it to the turning club this evening!

For sanding, I use something like the 2" thing on THIS PAGE with a cordless drill. If the tearout is bad I start at 60 or 80 grit. (Bought my kit at Woodcraft, but it looks like Vince has starter kits cheaper.)

When there are voids, I don't power the lathe, but it sometimes free-wheels as I'm sanding. Make sure to blow out the grit and residue before moving up to the next grade of sandpaper (I've got a small compressor, it's very loud for what it delivers but mostly gets the job done.)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Very cool bowl. In my head I call them something else but it is your bowl so natural edge it is :thumbsup::thumbsup:. I am sanding more and more with the lathe turned off and using my palm sander as much as possible.

Same for me on the end grain 80 grit will knock it down fast then just move a long with your sanding.

Good job

·
Super Moderator
5,164 Posts
Cool bowl Rob,
you have to be careful sanding one like that with the lathe running. Very easy to catch a finger. Probably best to use the drill routine and palm sander. Sometimes you can get rid of tearout by shear scraping with a very sharp bowl gouge at a 45 degree angle. You'll end up taking the finest cuts and it will look like angel hair coming off the wood. You have to be very patient and keep taking very fine cuts. You can get rid of a lot of it if not all of it this way.
Mike Hawkins;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts