Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Yea i got wood
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so we had to celebrate Christmas early cause my wife is a nurse and has to work tomm
So I got a midi sorry hollowing tool
Here isy first trial run
It looked ok till I was cutting the tenon off and cut thru the bottom
Anyway here it is

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
so we had to celebrate Christmas early cause my wife is a nurse and has to work tomm
So I got a midi sorry hollowing tool
Here isy first trial run
It looked ok till I was cutting the tenon off and cut thru the bottom
Anyway here it is
That's mini sorby right?:laughing::laughing:

Looks good

·
Registered
80 Posts
nice job.
I hate it when I get right down to the last thing to do and rip/bang or boom there goes the whole project. I chock it up as a learning/practice curve and sometimes can find away to still use the piece for something.

·
Registered
47 Posts
well just look at it like a design change. I turned a similar bowl with cedar and, like you, I poked a hole in the bottom. Tossed it to the side and called it a learning experience. After a couple of days I looked at it an thought I bet it would look good with a walnut base. It did and will be my mamma's Christmas present.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
This has a beautiful form (and that streak across the top is great!)

Do you have the energy to put into trying to salvage it? I can think of a couple of ways you might achieve it, such as making a ring of "inlaid" material around the area where it got too thin.

(I've got a natural-edge bowl with a similar problem -- just too thin where the tenon meets the base, hasn't punctured yet, but it's real close ...)

·
Yea i got wood
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This has a beautiful form (and that streak across the top is great!)

Do you have the energy to put into trying to salvage it? I can think of a couple of ways you might achieve it, such as making a ring of "inlaid" material around the area where it got too thin.

(I've got a natural-edge bowl with a similar problem -- just too thin where the tenon meets the base, hasn't punctured yet, but it's real close ...)
Im definitely not gonna trash it yet
I thought about sanding it flat and adding a small walnut base and turning it down

·
Registered
763 Posts
I like the grain orientation and the yellow streak. Personally I like to put my effort into making a new piece rather than fixing one that didn't go as planned. I'm not sure that's the best way to go and definitely isn't the best use of wood but it feels kinda good to smash em into the scrap pile and start fresh, usually after some cussing and antics I hope no one saw:).
That being said, the bottom is really hard for me to judge on HFs. There's just no good way to judge once it's reversed so it's all about feeling the curve on the inside and being able to visualize the final exterior curve while it's still mounted. I don't know any tricks there but I'd love to hear anything anyone had to offer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts