Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I put together this box as a Christmas present for my wife. I got the idea while looking at a scrap of walnut that had bad planer snipe on one end. It's pretty small for a jewelry box, but I was just trying to use up some scraps. The legs and top are walnut, the box is sycamore, and the inlays are padouk with black veneer. I taught myself how to do silver wire inlay, that is the lines on the legs.

So I have no idea how I'm going to be able to hinge the lid. The sides are barely 3/8", And the curved top only touches the legs at the very corner. I may have to put a handle on the lid and not have it hinged, but I wanted to do more silver wire inlay on the top.

Any suggestions? Also, your thoughts on a finish? I like a satin finish, my thought is tung oil or Danish oil.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
No help from me, but gorgeous box!!

Mark

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Why not do a border of silver wire inlay, in a geometric pattern maybe, around the outer top of the lid and make nice, small padouk or sycamore handle for the center of the lid?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Would it be possible to hinge the top from one of the sides instead of the back? That way you could mortise the hinges into the top of the legs and screw the other side of the hinge to the top.

I'm assuming that you can't do it in the middle of the back because the thickness is too small and can't use the legs as the attachment point on the back because the angle of each side will cause it to bind?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
NICE box- Could you use barrel hinges and hinge on back legs. Or split the top and hinge each side . Handle would be a lot easier......

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why not do a border of silver wire inlay, in a geometric pattern maybe, around the outer top of the lid and make nice, small padouk or sycamore handle for the center of the lid?
If I can't find a way to hinge it from the side, I will do this. The tops of the legs are approximately 7/8" square, so I would need a hinge that could fit there. Not sure if that exists.

I would prefer to use a hinge, that makes the box easier to use, I think.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok noob question but how do you get the top piece to bend like that? That is an incredible box.
I'm glad someone asked. I started with a 4/4 piece of wood. I used my router sled to route away the material in the center of the underside, then flipped it over and routes away the material on the outer parts of the top. Then I sanded it to this shape, first using a flap wheel on my angle grinder, then a sanding cylinder in my drill press and my belt sander.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Nice piece.

I think I would cut the lid in half so there is a left and right side. Then hinge both sides to the legs with barrel hinges. Finally I'd make separate handles and place them in the middle. The effect would be two hinged lids that opened either together or one side or the other. You could still add more of the silver wire inlay even with the lid halved.

I'd also make a tray for the inside.

As far as a finish goes, have you considered boiled linseed or tung oil? Oils dry to a natural satin finish with no worries about getting runs in the finish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts