Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Just call me Sir
287 Posts
I thought this was nice the first time i looked at it, i must say i have not seen spalted walnut before and this really blends nice, its not a very detailed or delicate goblet but i think the wood really makes it and adds to the shape. LB..

http://www.shapewood.co.uk

·
johnep
2,140 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but was does 'spalted' actually mean?
The only bi colour wood I have seen is 'owerri' from Surinam. I bought a carved barracuda from a stall and was told made from this wood.
johnep

·
Just call me Sir
287 Posts
John you don't know if you never ask.

Spalting is caused by the infections of wood with various kinds of white rot fungi. The ideal conditions for spalting to take place are temperatures that range from 70 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit with a moisture content that is at or near the fiber saturation point of about 30%. The characteristic blue-black zone lines of spalted wood form when incompatible colonies offungi come into contact with each other and lay down barriers to separate their territories. This phenomenon represents the early stages of the decay process. This incipient decay may or may not seriously weaken the wood, although a gradual softening of the wood is apparent and accompanied by a gradual change in color to grayish white.In the later stages the infected wood is of a dirty white color and becomes soft and spongy.

·
Just call me Sir
287 Posts
Thanks for the explanation re spalted wood. Not too much in UK as probably too cold.
johnep

John if you look around you will find an awfull lot of spalted woods around in the uk, just go check on some downed trees in some woods near to you. Beach birch oak and keep on going.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts