Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a chance to try my lathe out the other day. I have never turned anything and I don't have alot of wood that is "turning" wood yet. I did have a piece of pallet material labeled "Brasil" on it that was about 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 so I thought I'd try something simple like a little bat for my 3 year old son. I like how it turned out and learned a few things doing it. I really like sanding on the lathe. This wood, that I don't know what it is, was very open pored but turned to glass when I sanded it. I used some laquer and wax on it for a finish. It is not without it's errors, but I am happy with my first go at it.

Attachments

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,373 Posts
Hey, that's awesome and a great first project. I'm no expert at turning but I am improving as time goes on. Looks like you're getting the hang of it pretty quickly. I would have to question your sanity however. You just gave a 3 year old boy a weapon!! :eek: He would be at the right level, when swinging his new bat, to do some serious damage in a region that I will not elaborate on in this thread. :blink::laughing: Wear a cup.
Ken

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am hoping to get video of it so I can be on America Funniest Home Videos and earn money to buy more lathe accessories......

Seriously though, I am actually more concerned for my 1 year old daughter. The bat is going to stay outside unless we go practice his swing. The wife wants me to cut it in half and turn some wooden baseballs and mount them on a plaque for his room. We'll see. Thanks for the kind words all!

·
sawdust maker
560 Posts
nice bat acp:bangin::bangin::icon_eek::cry:this could happen better turn up some bat protection :yes:

·
Banned
6,839 Posts
Nice job on the bat.

Just so you know that wood looks and sounds like Lyptus. It is a very hard wood Jenka rating of 2300-2500 I think just in case you want to get more and make something with it. I'm using it to make shop cabinet face frames and it would be good for a workbench top. I just turned a piece into a pen to see how it worked and I found it turned pretty easily.

Again nice job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts