Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Old Hack
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago I got an old Craftsman lathe from an old timer who was throwing it out. Since then I have been playing with it, figuring it out, trying to learn turning, FIXING the problems I encountered with the old lathe............ and going crazy at the same time!

Finally! I got something to hold together till it got to the finishing room! Not much, but it's a start!

I went out to the back 40 (we have 5 acres, LOL!) and found some pine firewood that I cut when the big windstorm hit a few years ago. Put it on my old tired lathe and turned down a cylinder about 16" long and about 4 5/8 dia. - my 12" mitre saw would cut cleanly.

Used my drill press and a series of forstner bits to hollow out the long end, then glued it back up as neatly as I could. Turned it down. bored a 1" "bird hole", poplar dowel for a perch. 4 coats of hand rubbed oil, 2 coats of poly.

A few cracks came up in the "firewood" I turned, but I don't think the birds will mind much, eh?

BW

Attachments

·
4Woodturning
352 Posts
Nicely done, looks like it will make a good home for some birds. your Finish looks great, keep up the good work.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Looks good here :thumbsup:

And a great Idea for a birdhouse.:yes:
on a windy day it will be like a carnival ride for the birds inside. :laughing:

·
Old Hack
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the Kudos, all!

First, this thing weighs in pretty heavy - I'd say about 6 pounds, so if I hang it on a short chain it shouldn't swing much with the wind (I live in the middle of a wooded lot anyway).

The inside is unfinished - I hope it will dry thoroughly in time from the inside, and not crack and check any more on the outside. I didn't know that poly was hazardous to young birds - thanks!

I have turned down more cylinders, bored them, and glued them back together - Pine, basswood, cherry, Red cedar, and poplar. They all seem to be cracking as they dry, but hopefully not too deep to disappear when I finish them. We'll see!

BW

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,384 Posts
Wow, that's really nice. I love the shape. I made one years ago for my wife that was in the shape of an acorn. She really loved it. Apparently, so did someone else because the came in the middle of the night and stole it. :furious: Great job. Makes me want to make another one for my wife. Thanks for sharing this.
Ken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts