Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The is the first thing I've ever turned. It's a variation of a slimline made from Tiger Wood. I used 2 coat's of Huts crystal friction coat as the finnish. Let me know what you think...

I made a ton of mistakes (i'm guessing this is pretty standard for a first timer), but all in all i'm pretty happy with it. I'm currently work on another pen made out of black and white ebony that hopefully should turn out better. Should have pictures soon.

·
Super Moderator
5,164 Posts
Cl,
You're off to a good start. Keep on turning and learn from your mistakes. Try and find a turning club in your area if you have one available. You'll not only have a lot of fun, but learn a lot quicker.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Hey, that's a sharp looking pen!! Don't fret the mistakes, they're how we all learn. Nice job. Looking forward to seeing #2

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,568 Posts
Very nice. It's a heck of a lot better than my first lathe project. (which burned very nicely by the way) Make a few more, in different species of wood and then move on to something a little bigger. Great job. One more point is that if you were planning on giving this pen as a gift, keep in mind that this particular pen is no longer allowed to be used in the school system due to the fact that Tiger Wood cheats. :laughing: (oooooohhh that's bad. I'm going straight down for that one.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice one!! a wicked pen for your first one... a LOT better than my first one (check out my pictures and you'll see what I mean!!!)
keep going and you'll learn loads... both from your mistakes and from this forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your kind comments, I'm actually kind of happy with some of the mistakes I'm making at this point, because it allows me an excuse to learn how to fix things... like blow outs... which just so happened to be what happened on the B/W Ebony pen I mentioned earlier.... needless to say that ones now going to spend some time while the glue cures and i figure out a way to finnish the second blank without absolutely destroying it :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts