Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time ever using a router. Rounding the edge of the seat on the steering console I'm working on.
BIG deal for me!!馃槀馃槀 Bwwaaaaahahahahah

Ken
Table Wood Hardwood Wood stain Gas

Premium Member
If the edges will be seen, Baltic Birch would be a much better choice. There are more layers, no voids and a better grade of interior plies. Many use Baltic Birch for its decorative edge, not to mention that is stronger and stiffer than standard plywood.
Have fun

Premium Member
You can find some simple books on routers or spend the rest of your life on youtube learning all of the things that you can do with a router. One of those things is to badly destroy your fingers if not careful. I thin k your would be better off with some basic books. Youtube is great but there are many woodworking hacks on there and they are oblivious to safety.
If you have access to 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood, it makes for great long lasting jigs and templates.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All the edges will be sealed and painted over so not seen in the traditional sense.

Thanks for all the good words. At this point I'm not sure if i may have fallen down the rabbit hole with buying wood working tools???? Every time I see something I get sweaty palms and fast, heavy breathing..... 馃榿

Ken

Premium Member
The only advice I can give you is:

Only buy what you need at the time.

Buy quality when you can. Buy Harbor Freight only when you think you can get away with it.

Design your projects around what tools you have or propose to buy. Example: dont buy a bandsaw unless you need to make curves.

At this stage, dont get talked into making stuff for other people. It will get you in trouble.

When you get that urge to test yourself (which is always a good thing), start by making workbenches and shop cabinets. You will learn a lot.

Anyway, the best of luck to you in whatever you decide.
Happy woodworking to you

Registered
When I started routing in 1976 there was no youtube and only the local library for guidance (probbaly past issues of Popular Mechanics or similar). I never bought a book on the subject. The SEARS router came with a small guide manual if I remember correctly (or maybe it came with a set of router bits).

Reactions: Kenh3497

Premium Member
There are a lot of good books out there. The local library probably has a bunch of them. There is not much you can't do with a router. Anything from template routing to straight line rip jigs. Don't have a Dado blade for your table saw? No problem, just use your router. You can probably spend the next several months making jigs for your router.
I'm glad you posted here. I just realized that I don't have that many router jigs in my shop. Been a while since my last shop prior to recently.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts