Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
kendall
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im sitting here waiting for the snow to start and have been working in the shop. finished up a couple of projects in the last couple of weeks.

the first is an endgrain breadboard. i was looking through some old wood magazines and came across this pattern and had to give it a try. it was really fun to make and im sure it wont be the last one i make. i already have some sisters that said i could make them one for christmas. i wonder what they will make for me lol

the second is a litho box. the litho is black and white picture that i download and carve in my carvewright. when you backlight it it looks just like the picture. you cant get the real effect unless you see it in person. it is a real jawdropper. the box is just a simple oak box similar to the old mantel clocks which i backlite the litho with floursent puck lights. it makes a great give for the people that have everything. the litho is of a house that a friend of my daughters grew up in. her parents just moved and were having withdrawals about leaving so i made this for them. they just loved it.

well i have both carvers going so i better go blow out some sawdust

thanks

kendall

Attachments

·
Papa Red
1,165 Posts
Very cool on both projects. I'm looking to mess around with some cutting boards soon. I only need to get some lumber.

Red

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Hey Kendall, nice work. That litho is really cool. No need to wait for the snow, it's here and way too early. Gonna be a long cold one...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Very nice bread board. Hard to believe you can make that on a lathe. :laughing:

204 Posts
Kendall I like both projects, especially the cutting boards. What lumber did you use because, just like Red, I want to make a couple for myself? Do you have any tips on lumber I should stay away from?

·
kendall
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks all for the coments.

the breadboard is made out of walnut, cherry and maple. i got the plan for an old wood magazine but i think you could let your imagination run wild on these things. i have read that close grain wood works best for these breadboards but i have seen a lot of them made out of oak also. if anyone need the widths and placements of the wood to make this let me know and i will post it.

the litho is carved into 1/4" thick white corian. i will warn you that if you buy a carvewright and start making these you will get addicted fast. i had pretty much quit making anything out of wood until i bought my first carvewright. now i cant wait to get home from work to "play" in the shop and see what come out next.

well back to the shop

kendall

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cutting boards....

really shouldn't have walnut in them (JMHO). Walnut, being a "nut" tree, can induce nut allergy reactions in super sensitive people and it's one of the most toxic North American hardwoods. Purpleheart, Jotoba, maple, zebrawood, cherry, and other HEAVY close grained woods all make great cutting boards, just be careful of their toxicity. My general rule is "if it smells oily or pungent or comes from nut trees (pecan, hickory etc), don't use it." Anything that smells like walnut I stay away from.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts