Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after drooling over various pictures of different pieces incorporating these little guys I finally plucked up the courage to try my hand at them. So far I've only got two in but plan on doing the back side also. The wood I used was beech and it was all done by hand AKA old school haha! Hope you like them as much as I liked making them.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dwillems26 said:
That's pretty impressive for your first. Looks like its pretty tight
Ok ok... So I told a little lie *laughing! This was actually my first I did as a practice with a scrap bit of mahogany. So in total that's three I've made so far but if I'm honest I think my first is probably the better of them all. Can't wait to get making something else with these guys in them.... I fear I may be hooked! And thanks a lot for the kind comments.

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
When I looked at your first picture I said to myself 'why are there so many dents, nicks, and scratches in Conor's workpiece?' I thought 'he had better get those out of the wood or else his project isn't going to look very nice'. And then I moved on to another picture and realized that your test was on your workbench. You had me going for a moment.

Nice job. And a great place to try your hand at it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Murphy's Law said:
When I looked at your first picture I said to myself 'why are there so many dents, nicks, and scratches in Conor's workpiece?' I thought 'he had better get those out of the wood or else his project isn't going to look very nice'. And then I moved on to another picture and realized that your test was on your workbench. You had me going for a moment.

Laughing, now that would be a disaster alright. I made those pesky things while chopping out the mortice's of my smaller shed door in December. Gutted would be an understatement!!
On the plus it gives me an excuse to re flatten and finish it agin.... Which would be the third time might I ad *laughing. Thanks for your comment!

·
Registered
445 Posts

This was my first thought also. :yes: You have made a great
job of them Conor. :thumbsup: Well done. :icon_cool:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mackem said:
This was my first thought also. :yes: You have made a great
job of them Conor. :thumbsup: Well done. :icon_cool:
Thank you for saying so!
A question while I'm at it..... Do you guys use regular dovetail proportions when making these ie1:6/1:8? I tried setting them out this way but they didn't look right?? In the end I just played about untill they looked ok ( at least to me haha)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thank you for saying so!
A question while I'm at it..... Do you guys use regular dovetail proportions when making these ie1:6/1:8? I tried setting them out this way but they didn't look right?? In the end I just played about untill they looked ok ( at least to me haha)

Some rules are meant to be broken, :yes: if it
looks right then it is right in my opinion. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Billy De
1 - 11 of 11 Posts