Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came a crossed a deal from a co-worker who is selling a Delta 50-850 DC for $150. He said he is going to upgrade his. I would really like to build a cyclone, but I need something to keep the dust/chips down now until I can find the time to build one. I know he takes really good care of his tools so I am not concerned about what shape it is. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Why I should or shouldn’t buy this model? It’s wired for 220 which I have in my shop. My thought was to take a page from Kenbo and build a Thein separator to put in front of this.
Thoughts everyone?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
It's the one I have and after installing a thein inside it, and a Wynn filter on top it works great.

I paid 65 for mine, but it was a bit rough when I go it. Took a lot of cleaning to get it to where I was super happy with it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the one I have and after installing a thein inside it, and a Wynn filter on top it works great.

I paid 65 for mine, but it was a bit rough when I go it. Took a lot of cleaning to get it to where I was super happy with it.

How do you install the thein inside the DC? I was already looking into the Wynn Filter. Will probably do that also.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for posting the pictures those are very helpful. Do you remember which Wynn filter you installed? I was originally looking at the 35A274BLOL, but after talking to Dick Wynn he recomended the C1425C.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Research the Thien separator, you will love it. Inexpensive, very effective, easy to build. :)

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I bought the one you were looking at, although looking at the one he's recommending the mounting options do look better.

I recently removed the turnbuckles and now use a heavy duty bungee cord over the top to keep it down. Makes it much easier to remove.

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
548 Posts
Here's the first of a series of 5 videos on a Thien separator build. VERY well detailed. Hope it helps.
Go to the guys channel to see the entire playlist
..Jon..

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
a thien baffle will work well in a 50-850. so will a used 16" frying pan, sans it's handle. i recapped that kind of a mod to my 50-850 over at lumberjocks. took 1 hour and cost very little:

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/40189

helps send more debris to collection bag keeping the filter cleaner longer helping to maintain suction for a longer period of time.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I tried the frying pan, and removed it for the thein which works much better.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all the information. I'm going to offer my co-worker $125 and see if he bites. If I can get it for that I will then probably do the Thein seperator with the Wynn filter adaptation. The only thing I am not sure about is whether I want to do the internal or external seperator. I'm kind of leaning towards the external seperator so that it keeps most of the dust away from the filter by having the secondary bag.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Keep in mind....chip collectors built and installed before the blower are under suction, causing you to need a rigid container rather than a bag. It's the main reason I haven't built one I the difficulty of emptying it compared to just replacing the bag.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
in discussing pre-separator vs. internal baffle with phil, he noted that many WWs use pre-separators on their baffle equipped DCs when using planers and jointers. they then remove the pre-separator when using TSs, sanders and other non-chip producing WW machines.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
in discussing pre-separator vs. internal baffle with phil, he noted that many WWs use pre-separators on their baffle equipped DCs when using planers and jointers. they then remove the pre-separator when using TSs, sanders and other non-chip producing WW machines.
I like this idea, but do they then remove the internal baffle when using the pre-separator or is that left in place. I have both a planer and jointer and figure that they will produce a lot of chips that I don't want going through the impeller. All of these answers have definitely giving me a lot to consider prior to installing any DC. Maybe I will dedicate one leg with a gate of my DC setup to the large chip machines and install a pre-seperator on it. Then setup a seperate leg for the saws and other fine dust producing items.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
How is it easier to scoop out a drum than just tie shut a bag? I'm interested...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why don't you want planer chips going through the impeller?
From everything that I have read about DC's from Bill Pentz's site chips going through the impeller can be a safety hazard. I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it and all situations where chips going through the impeller isn't good, but I don't really want to take the risk of damaging anything. In all honesty I want to build a cyclone, but I have other projects that are demanding my attention before I can get that done.

I would have to agree with MT, I would much rather dump out a drum of chips than have to wrestle with a bag.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Virtually all commercially available dust collectors have impellers designed to have chips run through them. I've never heard of a safety issue.

A drum of chips is pretty heavy...just sayin.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts