Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finished my first cutting board and second real project. Measures 10" x 16.5" and 7/8 thick. Used Birdseye maple that I scored earlier this summer and walnut. Have one coat of Kenbos cutting board finishhttp://youtu.be/AH27bf6AlCM
I have a mason jar to repeat a lot of times before giving this away as a Christmas gift for my in-laws.

I used a 3/16" round over on top and bottom edges and hand sanded to 400 grit after running through the planner.

Attachments

·
Registered
834 Posts
Looks good but make sure you get some keep of feet so air can circulate under it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all the great comments. I learned a lot making this as well as some mess ups as well. All adds character to the piece.

I don't think I'm going to use feet on it so it can be used on either side. I did not make any finger relief cuts on ends for picking up for that reason too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice job and I like the wood choice as well. Just a question: looking at the first picture I suspect that first two from top maple cuts are peripheral to the centre of the tree and the third is closer to the centre, and you connected them with the grains directions opposit one another, if you use it for hot food while laying on a cold counter it might expand and distort after a while until it splits due to the different reaction the above condition from the walnut. I therefore would put feets on it to allow the heat to be distributed evenly on the board for a longer life. I did a few and through experience I now cut the wood perpendicular to the grain avoiding the core of the tree cuts. Those ones done like this are still perfect and used for everything after years. Any takes on this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts