Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first cutting board was a mothers day gift for my stepmom, who is a very special lady to my son and I. It's 1.5" thick and is made with maple and walnut end grain. I kept it simple for my first board and I didn't think it would turn out very good, but I like how it looks finished.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The second board I made a little more complicated, and ended up having enough for 4 boards. They turned out pretty nice as well. I can see why people really enjoy making these. I used hard maple, walnut, and cherry. 1.5" thick. Both of these were finished with mineral oil only.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
These were my first boards and after some research I've read that some believe end grain up to be easier on knife blades and that they generally last longer. I think they look better as well. There are edge grain cutting boards also.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Excellent job. My first (and only so far) were edge grain that I made for Christmas present last year. I really like your designs.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Excellent job. My first (and only so far) were edge grain that I made for Christmas present last year. I really like your designs.
The second one wasn't really my design. I saw a pic of one online somewhere and counted and wrote down the wood types and then figured out the width total I wanted and divided it out. Only took a few minutes. But yes I sort of borrowed the idea. A table saw sled with a stop block makes crosscutting a breeze!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.