Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am new to this forum as well as new to woodworking. I have been interested in woodworking for some time now but most of my hobbies consist of my car which is a 04 Subaru Impreza WRX (Hence the screen name) Anyways, I gathered some wood from Lowes the other day (Red oak and I think Pine). I decided to make a cutting board for my first project. I personally am very proud of it. Now i come from a very rough Subaru forum who bashes everything so I am ready for whatever y'all have to say about this I have some tough skin. Back to the cutting board, I took the pieces of wood glued them together with gorilla wood glue and then clamped them together overnight. After dried I sanded the board down smooth with some sandpaper I had laying around (Don't know the grit size). I then took my dewalt hand sander and rounded the edges and then went over the whole board again. After cleaning the board off I took some Olive Oil and rubbed it into the cutting board. I had some extra wood laying around so I decided to try so more ideas. I made a spoon holder that normally goes on the oven to place your spoons or ladles on while cooking. This is the one I had a little more harder time with, I did the same thing as far as gluing the two boards together, then I took saw and cut out my design. I then sanded down and rounded as best as I could with the palm sander (I don't have a belt sander, hopefully soon). I then, by hand, sanded the dip where the spoon would rest in the middle of the holder. This by far was time consuming and rough on the arm. I then got it to the point where I didn't feel like sanding anymore and then rubbed olive oil on it. This too I am proud of. Now a few questions for the more advanced wood workers. What would you have done differently? Is this acceptable for a beginner? What tool would make sanding the dip in the holder easier? appreciate the people that read through the whole thread, as this being my first the next threads will not be so lengthy with words and there will be more pictures instead. Again, advice/criticism are greatly appreciated. And now for the picture.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Love the cutting board. What I like most is the way you didn't make everything the same size. The oak on the end looks great because it is smaller. It attracts your eye to the board. The holder looks sweet! Not many people would attempt to do that out of 2 types of wood. The cutting board is perfectly fine! I love it. If you plan on making another one, one thing I would do is rip those boards to about an inch and a half tune them on there end and glue them face to face. Alternating the colors. More wood in between is always better. It attracts your eye to it even more. Also an end grain cutting board is a lot stronger then a face grain. Face grain will dent alot of the time. However, yours looks great. I would have no problem doing it face up if it turned out like yours. Really great job! Especially for a first time! As for the holder. I would do it exactly like you did. I can not
Think of a tool that would make that easier except for a dremel . That would help out a lot. Looks great! Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jjboozel,

Thank you for your kind words, and again, I have some questions. Can you explain to me a little more in what you said
"If you plan on making another one, one thing I would do is rip those boards to about an inch and a half tune them on there end and glue them face to face. Alternating the colors. More wood in between is always better. It attracts your eye to it even more. Also an end grain cutting board is a lot stronger then a face grain."
What do you mean by rip? also the board is 3/4 inch. As well as half tune? End Grain and face Grain? Im going to do a quick google search but if you could give me a short explanation that'd be great!!!

Thanks again for the positive words and encouragement!

Joshua (AWDsome)

·
Registered
704 Posts
AWDsome said:
jjboozel,

Thank you for your kind words, and again, I have some questions. Can you explain to me a little more in what you said What do you mean by rip? also the board is 3/4 inch. As well as half tune? End Grain and face Grain? Im going to do a quick google search but if you could give me a short explanation that'd be great!!!

Thanks again for the positive words and encouragement!

Joshua (AWDsome)
Sure no problem. We don't tear people apart here. And if we do critique it's always positive. And yup I can re word it just fine. Ripping a board is when you cut it on a table saw length wise. Cross cutting is when you use a radial arm saw to cut it width wise. U use a radial arm saw to get your length. And a table saw ( rip) to get how wide you need it. They call it ripping because it's like your ripping the board. ( very simple lol) board being 3/4 inch thick that's ok. What I ment was rip it to an inch and a half 1 1/2 get as many as you can out of the boards then alternate the wood ( oak pine oak pine) face is the top of the board ( the way yours is laying) end grain is the End of the Board belive it or not lol. What I was supposed to say was edge grain. That's when you turn it a quarter turn til it's on that 3/4 side. I would take those 1 1/2 rips and glue them face to face. Then on the cutting board you have edge grain showing. It's a lot stronger and you can get more patterns by doing it that way. It also makes it thicker. Any more questions please don't hesitate to ask. Real quick
ripping is lengthwise it determine how wide your board is.
The face of your board is the top.( face)
End grain is litterly the end( the 3/4 end)
Edge grain is the side of the board also the 3/4 end(side)
Like I said any questions don't hesitate. I may be young but I've been doing this for awhile and believe I have a good idea of what's going on. Go to my profile and check out my projects, I think you'll understand that I do know what's going on lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, I had an idea of what you meant I just wanted to clear it up. I appreciate the help and insight on the "lingo" haha. I do like the edge grain design and I can see how it would be easier to make different patterns. I may try that next time. The tough thing is, I only have a miter saw at the moment. Im looking to source a cheap table saw to get the ball rolling. I enjoyed making the cutting board and will probably make a few more. (looks like the family is getting cutting boards for Christmas haha) Anyways, thanks again! I appreciate the help!

Joshua (AWDsome)

·
Registered
704 Posts
AWDsome said:
Awesome, I had an idea of what you meant I just wanted to clear it up. I appreciate the help and insight on the "lingo" haha. I do like the edge grain design and I can see how it would be easier to make different patterns. I may try that next time. The tough thing is, I only have a miter saw at the moment. Im looking to source a cheap table saw to get the ball rolling. I enjoyed making the cutting board and will probably make a few more. (looks like the family is getting cutting boards for Christmas haha) Anyways, thanks again! I appreciate the help!

Joshua (AWDsome)
Yup no problem!! And ok I see. Check www.auctionzip.com punch in your zip code. How many miles you want it to go out. It's an auction website auctions happen all the time! Mostly Saturdays. I find alot of woodworking stuff at them. And you can specifically search for ones with table saws. There will be a yellow box, keyword" will be inside that yellow box type in table saw it will pull up auctions that have table saws listed. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'm 17 and I love woodworking! I hope to make a career out of it. Good luck! Let me know how you do! Awsome name by the way!
~Joshua (Josh) (jjboozel)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Nice looking cutting board and spoon holder. I would add comments, but JJBOOZEL covered everything. Keep up the good work, we all learn from each other. In no time, you will be making all kinds of wood projects!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Your projects look good. Typically, cutting boards are made from hardwood like Maple, walnut, and others. Pine is soft and Oak is porous, which means the board will soak up stuff you don't want it to suck up. I think it would serve you better as a bread board or serving board, thus keeping the bloody stuff away.

Also, use food grade, waterproof glue such as Titebond III. Now with all of that said, I am still a rookie at making cutting boards but I read alot. Below is a couple of my boards I made for Christmas gifts.

Good luck and keep slinging the sawdust.
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Looks good for a first. :thumbsup: No bashing on this here forum, which is why I've stuck around so long.:yes: Titebond 3 like the others said is a better glue choice for cutting boards. Also, use mineral oil instead of olive oil. olive oil can/will eventually turn rancid.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Great looking board for your first go around! I made my first cutting board back in November after studying this thread by Kenbo. That thread was the only source of information I used, and I ended up with a beautiful board, and have since made about 7 more!

We're glad to have you on the forum, and hope you stick around. Anything I was going to say has been covered by the previous posts. Pine is soft, oak is porous, so hardwoods are preferred. Food safe glue such as Tite Bond II or Tite Bond III, and mineral oil for the finish.

If you add your location to your profile, you may find other members in your area that could help you out with tools. If we don't have one for sale, I'm sure most of us would be more than happy to open the shop up and show you how to use it!

There are a lot of guys from FL, NC, SC, etc... I say this because of the "y'all" I saw in your post.

Sean

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the encouragement.
I will get around to adding my location in.
I am from northern VA but I go to school in lynchburg VA

Joshua (AWDsome)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts