Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to try my hand at a simple cutting board, nothing special or fancy for the first one. Thinking I might want to do an end grain but not sure? What is a good wood to use that is cheap, just want something to practice on for my first one and then after I "master" the first one build another one out of a little nicer wood and get into the checkered patterns and whatnot.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
ponch37300 said:
I would like to try my hand at a simple cutting board, nothing special or fancy for the first one. Thinking I might want to do an end grain but not sure? What is a good wood to use that is cheap, just want something to practice on for my first one and then after I "master" the first one build another one out of a little nicer wood and get into the checkered patterns and whatnot.
You can't go wrong with cherry , hard maple or walnut or any combination of the three.
Tom

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I actually have a small end grain panel made from oak scraps sitting in my garage. I, like you, wanted to make some nice end grain cutting boards, but didn't want to waste expensive wood.

I'm really glad I decided to do a practice one. It helped me figure out the glueing and clamping process, as well as how to mark each piece during stock prep. I'm currently putting the mineral oil on my 8th end grain cutting board since December. 6 from maple and walnut and 2 from maple and cherry. They are addicting!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts