Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to purchase a sawmill recently and build a log arch trailer. Today I managed to use both and collected a cherry tree that had been cut a few miles from me. I was amazed when I opened it. I know it’s nothing special but I wanted to share and maybe use this as a reference and maybe laugh at myself in a year or 2 when I look back at this. But for now I think it’s amazing!
Tire Automotive tire Car Vehicle registration plate Hat

Wood Road surface Rectangle Wheel Plank

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was the log with the white plastic bag on in the trailer. It was crooked so I cut it to make 2 smaller, straighter logs. I’m going to have way more than I can personally use so I will sell most of the wood I receive.
I have contacted I few arborists in the area who are happy to give me their cuts since they have to pay to take it to the land fill. seems like a win win to me.

·
Registered
Higher Education
3 Posts
That was the log with the white plastic bag on in the trailer. It was crooked so I cut it to make 2 smaller, straighter logs. I’m going to have way more than I can personally use so I will sell most of the wood I receive.
I have contacted I few arborists in the area who are happy to give me their cuts since they have to pay to take it to the land fill. seems like a win win to me.
I have an awful lot of black ash available these days. I've toyed with buying a portable mill for my campus but I can't imagine the training and safety costs I'd have to incur!

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
I decided to purchase a sawmill recently and build a log arch trailer. Today I managed to use both and collected a cherry tree that had been cut a few miles from me. I was amazed when I opened it. I know it’s nothing special but I wanted to share and maybe use this as a reference and maybe laugh at myself in a year or 2 when I look back at this. But for now I think it’s amazing! View attachment 441314
View attachment 441313
Glad you are getting some better wood. I've cut about four logs on my mill and all the wood is #3 common or worse.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad you are getting some better wood. I've cut about four logs on my mill and all the wood is #3 common or worse.
Where are you getting your logs from?
I originally had planned to clear some of my land and use the trees that I cut down but that’s a lot of work to take off the branches and clean up so I called local arborists and was amazed that they all would give away the logs that were already branch trimmed for free. I’m sure in time I’ll get picky on what I want but for now I’ll take them all!

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
Where are you getting your logs from?
I originally had planned to clear some of my land and use the trees that I cut down but that’s a lot of work to take off the branches and clean up so I called local arborists and was amazed that they all would give away the logs that were already branch trimmed for free. I’m sure in time I’ll get picky on what I want but for now I’ll take them all!
The only logs I use is from trees on my property that have died. So far I've only cut red oak, possibly from the same tree. I also have white oak, hickory, ash and eastern red cedar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts