Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first coffee table I've ever made and really had not clue what I was doing. Just watched YouTube and googled one how to do stuff. Tell me what you guys think! I've got thick skin! Thanks

Walnut with 1x2 steel legs

This pic I didn't finish the end yet.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
That table top looks WOW! The legs, I might would have supported them better, maybe to each other. I just see someone leaning into the table and the table just laying over. You might could have routed some on the legs or cut some design into them, but for a first, it looks OK!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3 coats of poly then wet sand and buff.

The legs i bolted down with 1/2 bolts with washers underneath. The legs are steel as well and I can't move them for crap once they were bolted down.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of natural edge stuff but it looks awesome just the same.
You said its your first one but hopefully its the first of many. Coffee tables are great projects because they can be as simple or complex as you want them to be.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Very nice Mike for your first table. You were smart to not get yourself in the weeds with something too complex. The only thing that bothers me is your legs being flush to the outside edge of the top. I would have set them in 5 inches or so on both sides to allow the top to overhang on the ends. Since your walnut IS the dominant feature of this build, it shouldn't compete visually with your legs, which is kind of what is happening here.

I would also be concerned with seasonal movement of that slab especially since you said you bolted the legs to it. Again, very nice job!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts