Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I apply on mahogany first coat of finish a 50-50 BLO and MS.
Is this first coat can be considered a "sealer" as well?
Can I apply a day after, Danish oil or Should I wait 3-4 days?
What about poly afther BLO ?
Thanks .

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
You should not use a sealer prior to using an oil finish.
The oil cannot penetrate the wood if it's been previously sealed
If it's sealed and you like it the color, your ready to start your final finish.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should not use a sealer prior to using an oil finish.
The oil cannot penetrate the wood if it's been previously sealed
If it's sealed and you like it the color, your ready to start your final finish.
As I asked, Is this to be considered a sealer ?
Well I used a very thin layer of BLO + MS to pop the grain and amber the wood, So the top is far from being totaly sealed .
I intend to use 4-5 layers of Danish oil for final coat.
What do you mean by top coat\ final finish?

·
Registered
26,215 Posts
A 50/50 mixture of blo and mineral spirits is so thin it's more of a wood conditioner and close chemically to the Danish oil finish. Other than wasting time applying it, it didn't hurt anything and you are good to go with the Danish oil finish now. Danish oil is a mixture of blo, varnish or tung oil and mineral spirits and in some cases dyes for color.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A 50/50 mixture of blo and mineral spirits is so thin it's more of a wood conditioner and close chemically to the Danish oil finish. Other than wasting time applying it, it didn't hurt anything and you are good to go with the Danish oil finish now. Danish oil is a mixture of blo, varnish or tung oil and mineral spirits and in some cases dyes for color.
Steve, Thanks for your honest opinion. From my experience, When using BLO before the "rustins" danish oil, The grain pops more than without the BLO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts