Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I know you shouldn't be posting builds you're not happy with and are sub standard, but this being my first real build I thought I would share :)

I'm not in possession of many tools at all so this was built with nothing but a hacksaw, sand paper and some wood glue.. I am adding to my kit next month by purchasing a bandsaw, sharp chisels and couple of decent hand saws.

This is a box built for my wife as a wedding gift last week, the box itself is made from meranti with a rosewood inlay (this I used a Dremel with router base for). The draws are also made from rosewood. Really proud of myself for this one considering equipment at my disposal..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
You just proved YOU DON'T NEED EVERY TOOL IN THE BOOK to do nice work. In fact, no need to fall for the TOOL TRICK OF THE WEEK, gimmick.

Without naming a couple companies, they offer so many tools/items that just aren't needed to do a good/super job. Why in the world would a person need a $200.00 devise to raise and lower your table router, IMO. Buy some more wood with the savings.

Sorry to ramble, but that's my feelings.

Very nice looking piece.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The inlay was done by routing the shape into the box using a Dremel with a router base, the rosewood was then cut to size with my hacksaw and then shaped using sand paper..

My limited tool set did make this a very challenging process, but was a heck of a lot of fun... And surprisingly, it only took me day to make this :)

So yeah, looking forward to getting my bandsaw and building more stuff...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You just proved YOU DON'T NEED EVERY TOOL IN THE BOOK to do nice work. In fact, no need to fall for the TOOL TRICK OF THE WEEK, gimmick.

Without naming a couple companies, they offer so many tools/items that just aren't needed to do a good/super job. Why in the world would a person need a $200.00 devise to raise and lower your table router, IMO. Buy some more wood with the savings.

Sorry to ramble, but that's my feelings.

Very nice looking piece.

Dale in Indy
Haha yeah, I feel you.. $200 can buy some pretty darn nice wood..

·
Banned
615 Posts
Perfect or not, first builds are exciting and make you proud of building it yourself! I still feel that way with most of my builds. I'm not an expert by any means and still have imperfections in almost everything.

Be proud! It looks fantastic. you really did a good job.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First of all, would like to thank all you guys for the encouraging words, really helps a lot..

Secondly, I managed to get in a few more photos..

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Hey, always a way to clamp something. You can always drive your car tire up on the piece, NO, but just look around, you will find a way.

I think someone once said, "WHEN THERE'S A WILL, THERE'S A WAY", Let's see, just WHO WAS THAT FELLER.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
That is super nice! With all the curves and round-over on the edges, it just flows together. I have not done inlay yet!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts