Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my first real woodworking project. Got the basic plans online and went with a different style top. The finishing is next but I had to set the table up for turkey day (using a table cloth and water resistant pad). I used dowels and pocket screws for joinery. I'm also going to make some decorative plugs for the bold holes in the legs.

My big problem is the amount of glue squeeze out between the boards on top and some on the legs. I didn't scrap it off because the top wasn't accessible during the glue up. I can't sand in these tight spots ( I think). I thought about routing a groove in the joints on the top but I fear that will enlarge these grooves too much. Any ideas? I also found some tips to use the finish touch up pens over the glue. Any suggestions?

This is my first post and I have enjoyed this forum for a while now. Thanks to all of the contributors.

Attachments

·
Hobbyist
157 Posts
Beautiful table. Well done! Not sure about cleaning out that glue (I'll defer to the experts). I did play around with touch-up pens but found that the color wore away easily. I ended up using wood toned paint from my HW store that was made for filling/painting cracks, nail holes, etc. Comes in different shades of brown. It did the job quite nicely. I don't know the brand but I'll try to see if it's kicking around in the basement later.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Looks good! I like the design. Could you not fit a piece of sandpaper in between the boards? At least for the fine sanding and maybe a thin blade knife to knock down any big chunks. It's hard to tell how much space there is between boards but it looks like you have about 1/8" and either of those options could work. Were you planning to put any kind of finish on the table?

·
where's my table saw?
29,958 Posts
Not to throw cold water

I see cracks and cupped boards in this photo. Were the boards glued together correctly with a jointed edge? How are the ends attached, tenon and groove? Any allowance for expansion/contraction in the ends? How is the top attached to the base, elongated holes?

I admire your effort for sure and the design is great, but so many times a newbie will make mistakes that have been discussed here for years and the solutions are so easy. I just hope you allowed for the wood to move and made the proper glue joints.:yes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, no the joints aren't proper, it's a farmhouse style table so perfection wasn't the goal nor was it achieved. I don't have a planer/ jointer or hand planes but hopefully soon. I joined the boards with clamps and glue the pocket screws. I didn't think about the wood expansion on the end caps. I guess I'll watch it and see how it reacts. Yes I am planning on finishing this spring and am learning what I can about that. Just read Spagnolas finishing book for a few pointers.

Sandpaper won't fit through the cracks. They aren't wide and most spots there is no gap at all.

Learned a "few" lessons on this project and the first was that I shouldn't have started with such a big project. I'm building some shop jigs next but after that I'll look for a small project with that I can use s4s hardwood on. Thanks for the tips about the touch up paint

·
Hobbyist
157 Posts
One other thought. You could route the space between the boards and stain' em darker, maybe 1/8 "? Also, why not let could let the hardware show, but paint it pipe black? (Just my esthetic interpretation should you not want to use plugs). Finally, a belt sander starting with a course (#60) grit might flatten those cupped boards but Woodnthings or others may have ideas on a better way to "joint after glue up".

·
Registered
417 Posts
I give it 6 months and all end grain on the top will split....the tressel which is the bottom support, will be ok; some of the fasteners near the joints will split. But that will be ok...the top is a problem, wait about 6months. and then joint the edges (before finishing). Re-glue an all should be good. Inbox me if you need help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gthec, I'll consider painting the hardware. I think that might look good once it is stained. I don't like the idea of routing the grooves as I think they would make the pocket screws visible. I think I'm set on experimenting with this touch up paint I've heard of.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Is that an ana-white design? Looks good. I like Ana White - great site for people to learn the basics.

Don't worry about the small stuff - you could always improve that stuff (jointing boards, etc). The reality is that in this project you've learned the basics - cross cuts, screwing, countersinking, etc. Just keep that learning mentality and all this other stuff will come with it.

BTW - that table looks great. I would certainly eat off it!

Curtis

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Congratulations. I think the table looks nice. And the design is pretty cool. Don't even think about perfection. It'll never happen (for any of us). Just do the best you can and learn from each project. I imagine this table is going to hold up just fine. And if any splitting does occur on the top it'll likely be manageable and add character.

You've already beaten the odds. Many - if not most - people who dream of woodworking never get as far as you did. To have made that table is a huge deal and you can and should be proud of it. It only gets better from here.

P.S. Welcome to the forum. I like your user name. I reminds me of myself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts