Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was inspired by some great build threads, especially the videos by Steve Carmichael and Jays Custom Creations. I built this for my niece for Christmas.

It is solid walnut with red flocking. Finished with a few coats of rattle can lacquer. I'm really happy with how it turned out and she was very touched by the gift.

Furniture Chair Wood Table Fictional character

Footwear Furniture Chair Shoe Leg

Tree Wood Floor Furniture Table

This was my first time using flocking and I really like the dramatic impact it added for the relatively little time invested.

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Very cool looking. Love it. Can't say I have personally seen one with a 'split' like that.

You have pulled it off with expertise !!!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the posts. I wish I could take credit for the design, but I'm not nearly that creative. I've seen this design elsewhere and really liked the effect.

I have seen other posts where people say you can get hooked on bandsaw boxes, and now I see how true it is. It wasn't very hard, but I learned a lot to help me on future ones. I am a new owner of a bandsaw and I always figured that I only needed 2 blades: one very wide for resawing and one for tight curves. Now I know better - I cut the sweeping curves of the sides with my 3/16" blade and it was a real pain to sand it smooth afterward.

I also made the box too deep so when I used my spindle sander it left machining marks as the spindle came below the edge of the box. I should have measured the minimum height my spindle sander oscillates to and used that for the box depth. It would have saved me a lot of time and left a better finish. Oh well, that's one reason I wanted to do a bandsaw box, to get new skills and experience.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Thanks for the posts. I wish I could take credit for the design, but I'm not nearly that creative. I've seen this design elsewhere and really liked the effect.

I have seen other posts where people say you can get hooked on bandsaw boxes, and now I see how true it is. It wasn't very hard, but I learned a lot to help me on future ones. I am a new owner of a bandsaw and I always figured that I only needed 2 blades: one very wide for resawing and one for tight curves. Now I know better - I cut the sweeping curves of the sides with my 3/16" blade and it was a real pain to sand it smooth afterward.

I also made the box too deep so when I used my spindle sander it left machining marks as the spindle came below the edge of the box. I should have measured the minimum height my spindle sander oscillates to and used that for the box depth. It would have saved me a lot of time and left a better finish. Oh well, that's one reason I wanted to do a bandsaw box, to get new skills and experience.
one thing to remember is to cut the back off , after you get the profile cut, i make band saw box's and have cut the profile and then cut the box part, than you have to draw a new back piece, just another step you shouldn't have to do , it doesn't fit the back as well as if you cut the orignal back, like all the little saw marks don't match with a new back. nice looking and you can't stop now , i know

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
del schisler said:
one thing to remember is to cut the back off , after you get the profile cut, i make band saw box's and have cut the profile and then cut the box part, than you have to draw a new back piece, just another step you shouldn't have to do , it doesn't fit the back as well as if you cut the orignal back, like all the little saw marks don't match with a new back. nice looking and you can't stop now , i know
Yep, I learned that lesson too! I had all the steps in my head, including cutting the back off after I cut the split. However, once I started cutting, I just couldn't stop. I did have to make a new back and cut it best I could to match. The sides were easily done with a flush trim but, but the split took a bit more work to get looking right.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Great job on your first BSB. I've seen that design before and always thought it was really cool. I've thought about doing a split box at some point but haven't yet. Yours came out looking awesome. Very well done!

And now that you see how easy and fun they are to make: as you said, it's something you'll definitely want to make lots more of. I love easily the principle can be applied to so many variations and designs. Whoever first came up with the band saw box idea deserves a medal. It's truly a wonderful and wide branch of woodworking.

·
Registered
269 Posts
That's pretty trippy and looks really nice. Very nice job. How'd you cut out the lower drawers? I don't see an entrance/exit kerf where the bandsaw would have entered/exited. Or did you just glue the kerf back closed?

I just gave myself a new grizzly bandsaw for Christmas, need some boxes like these put it through the paces on. :)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the kind words. She really did love it which made it all worth it. I glued the kerf closed on the drawer cutouts,, and even on close inspection, it's hard to tell where the glue joint is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts