Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was inspired by some great build threads, especially the videos by Steve Carmichael and Jays Custom Creations. I built this for my niece for Christmas.

It is solid walnut with red flocking. Finished with a few coats of rattle can lacquer. I'm really happy with how it turned out and she was very touched by the gift.

image-3542579666.jpg

image-2210448431.jpg

image-3504736552.jpg

This was my first time using flocking and I really like the dramatic impact it added for the relatively little time invested.

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Very cool looking. Love it. Can't say I have personally seen one with a 'split' like that.

You have pulled it off with expertise !!!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the posts. I wish I could take credit for the design, but I'm not nearly that creative. I've seen this design elsewhere and really liked the effect.

I have seen other posts where people say you can get hooked on bandsaw boxes, and now I see how true it is. It wasn't very hard, but I learned a lot to help me on future ones. I am a new owner of a bandsaw and I always figured that I only needed 2 blades: one very wide for resawing and one for tight curves. Now I know better - I cut the sweeping curves of the sides with my 3/16" blade and it was a real pain to sand it smooth afterward.

I also made the box too deep so when I used my spindle sander it left machining marks as the spindle came below the edge of the box. I should have measured the minimum height my spindle sander oscillates to and used that for the box depth. It would have saved me a lot of time and left a better finish. Oh well, that's one reason I wanted to do a bandsaw box, to get new skills and experience.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Thanks for the posts. I wish I could take credit for the design, but I'm not nearly that creative. I've seen this design elsewhere and really liked the effect.

I have seen other posts where people say you can get hooked on bandsaw boxes, and now I see how true it is. It wasn't very hard, but I learned a lot to help me on future ones. I am a new owner of a bandsaw and I always figured that I only needed 2 blades: one very wide for resawing and one for tight curves. Now I know better - I cut the sweeping curves of the sides with my 3/16" blade and it was a real pain to sand it smooth afterward.

I also made the box too deep so when I used my spindle sander it left machining marks as the spindle came below the edge of the box. I should have measured the minimum height my spindle sander oscillates to and used that for the box depth. It would have saved me a lot of time and left a better finish. Oh well, that's one reason I wanted to do a bandsaw box, to get new skills and experience.
one thing to remember is to cut the back off , after you get the profile cut, i make band saw box's and have cut the profile and then cut the box part, than you have to draw a new back piece, just another step you shouldn't have to do , it doesn't fit the back as well as if you cut the orignal back, like all the little saw marks don't match with a new back. nice looking and you can't stop now , i know

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
del schisler said:
one thing to remember is to cut the back off , after you get the profile cut, i make band saw box's and have cut the profile and then cut the box part, than you have to draw a new back piece, just another step you shouldn't have to do , it doesn't fit the back as well as if you cut the orignal back, like all the little saw marks don't match with a new back. nice looking and you can't stop now , i know
Yep, I learned that lesson too! I had all the steps in my head, including cutting the back off after I cut the split. However, once I started cutting, I just couldn't stop. I did have to make a new back and cut it best I could to match. The sides were easily done with a flush trim but, but the split took a bit more work to get looking right.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Great job on your first BSB. I've seen that design before and always thought it was really cool. I've thought about doing a split box at some point but haven't yet. Yours came out looking awesome. Very well done!

And now that you see how easy and fun they are to make: as you said, it's something you'll definitely want to make lots more of. I love easily the principle can be applied to so many variations and designs. Whoever first came up with the band saw box idea deserves a medal. It's truly a wonderful and wide branch of woodworking.

·
Registered
269 Posts
That's pretty trippy and looks really nice. Very nice job. How'd you cut out the lower drawers? I don't see an entrance/exit kerf where the bandsaw would have entered/exited. Or did you just glue the kerf back closed?

I just gave myself a new grizzly bandsaw for Christmas, need some boxes like these put it through the paces on. :)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the kind words. She really did love it which made it all worth it. I glued the kerf closed on the drawer cutouts,, and even on close inspection, it's hard to tell where the glue joint is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts