Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After turning nothing but bowls and vases etc for my first year, I decided I needed to do different things, enter the skew. Made a couple mini skews and bought a Sorby 11/4" skew and started practicing. Made these ornaments all the same theme, but somewhat different. Made six like these for the women in my family and need to make two more. Click on the picture to enlarge and you can see the little snow man better. These guys were a challenge for me to turn, being they are under 11/2" tall. I promise they will look better next year. Mitch

Attachments

·
Just call me Sir
287 Posts
Mitch stop being so dam shy with your work, get nearer or use a zoom, my eyes are getting older can't see. think theres a snowman in there somewhere they look as though there okkydokky but would be nice to see the work and not your lounge, the attachment does not make much diff, go closer to your work frame the item then edit down in size qith paintshop or other, are they drilled through or did you do inside out stuff, cannot see prop, other to my moan, hope the family is ok, catch you latter mitch nice to se you on. LB..

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
littlebuddha
Thanks, I think, There is a snowman in there, take my word for it and he is 13/8" high. Not much bigger than a eraser on a pencil. I noticed you are having trouble with light and seeing lately but what is the lounge mean? It's my basement. I drilled through on these ,three different forstner bit sizes. Thanks for thinking of my family, as of now we take it one day at a time. Not the best way to live, believe me. Mitch

·
Registered
113 Posts
Those are neat. How hard was it to keep from breaking through the "posts" or whatever you'd call the corners seperating the top and bottom?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks PK
Actually it was a little scary at first because the posts, as you call them were extremely thin. Surprisingly though with a very light touch when turning them nothing ever happened. I take that back. I was turning one and using a 11/2" skew and turned wrong and it flew to the right and cut the whole blank in half. My fault. I made a total of six and no problem. These are surprisingly easy to make. Thanks again, Mitch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts