Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I bought a nice band saw to do some resawing for the Jewelry Chest project and figured I should see what else I could do with it. After all, one should not spend money on a tool to be used only once. Especially when space is limited and the tool is too large it stick in a drawer, or rather expensive, and too heavy to put in your pocket.

I'd heard about band saw boxes and seen some very nice ones, so I figured I'd give it a shot and see if I could make a few just for fun. The pictures below are the result.

I made three boxes. Two are Cedar and Poplar and the third is Cedar and Oak

As you can see, I glued on the drawer front wrong on the middle box so the grain travels in the wrong direction. No excuses, I wasn't paying attention and it was too late to fix once I discovered my mistake... :(

This is how the ends came out with my best attempt to do some grain matching.

I even lined the drawers with some of the left over self adhesive red velvet from the jewelry chest project...

They are finished with 3 coats of clear gloss poly sprayed from rattle cans....

·
Registered
467 Posts
Those look great! Like the red of the cedar. Where do you get the velvet with the sticky on it?

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,585 Posts
Looks like you are building a good relationship with your new saw.... Those turned out very nice.

Keep up the good work!

Fabian

Reactions: johnnie52

·
Log dog
7,935 Posts
Johnnie those are beautiful boxes.
Your first time. I wouldn't of noticed the wrong grain direction if you didn't say anything.
I gotta get me a band saw. That'll be my next big purchase.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Grain direction? I like it the way it is! I have almost the same model Griz G0555 as you do,I made a good deal,a guy had it still in the box and $300 later it was mine.I did have to do some driving to get it,like 35 miles.Itchy

Reactions: johnnie52

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those look great! Like the red of the cedar. Where do you get the velvet with the sticky on it?
I ordered it from Rockler. They have blue, green,red, and black. It comes in 12 x 24 inch sheets and wasn't real expensive either.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grain direction? I like it the way it is! I have almost the same model Griz G0555 as you do,I made a good deal,a guy had it still in the box and $300 later it was mine.I did have to do some driving to get it,like 35 miles.Itchy
Even on sale mine was just over $600 with the riser kit and the mobile base included. I'm really starting to enjoy the saw. Its a vast improvement over the old 9" Royobi bench top model I used to have. I've got a 1/4" blade in it right now which is the smallest blade the book says will work. I may just try a 1/8" blade anyway and see if the book is a liar :)

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Very nice Johnnie. Fun aren't they? I made a bunch of those years ago. Think I'm gonna have to make some more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts