Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Newb
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must not be using the Search function correctly, as I cannot find a single instance where 'first aid kit' is even mentioned here, let alone discussed.

What is essential in a shop first aid kit?

Looking thru Amazon, seems the marketing is based on how many pieces are in the kit for the money.

I submit to yinz that ibuprofen, antacids, poison ivy stuff, bee sting stuff, et al, are NOT needed in the shop. If I get a headache, I'll go in the house & get the ibuprofen from the medicine cabinet. If I get a bee sting, I'll yell 'Owww!'.

The shop kit needs stuff for a proper EMERGENCY. The #1 (only?) situation is getting a finger or something hacked open by some saw blade. You need to be able to stop the bleeding first, THEN yell for the spouse. EVERYTHING else, you can run HOME first, then yell for the spouse.

It's not a first aid kit then, it's a stop bleeding kit. Gauze/pressure dressings, a tourniquet ... and I guess an instant cold pack to place the missing finger in after the bleeding stops.

Secondary: assorted bandages, tweezers (and a spare set of eyeglasses so I can see the offending splinter to use said tweezers).

And ... that's it. Stop the bleeding, and remove splinters.

Agree or disagree?

J

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I must not be using the Search function correctly, as I cannot find a single instance where 'first aid kit' is even mentioned here, let alone discussed.

What is essential in a shop first aid kit?

Looking thru Amazon, seems the marketing is based on how many pieces are in the kit for the money.

I submit to yinz that ibuprofen, antacids, poison ivy stuff, bee sting stuff, et al, are NOT needed in the shop. If I get a headache, I'll go in the house & get the ibuprofen from the medicine cabinet. If I get a bee sting, I'll yell 'Owww!'.

The shop kit needs stuff for a proper EMERGENCY. The #1 (only?) situation is getting a finger or something hacked open by some saw blade. You need to be able to stop the bleeding first, THEN yell for the spouse. EVERYTHING else, you can run HOME first, then yell for the spouse.

It's not a first aid kit then, it's a stop bleeding kit. Gauze/pressure dressings, a tourniquet ... and I guess an instant cold pack to place the missing finger in after the bleeding stops.

Secondary: assorted bandages, tweezers (and a spare set of eyeglasses so I can see the offending splinter to use said tweezers).

And ... that's it. Stop the bleeding, and remove splinters.

Agree or disagree?

J
Oh yeah, I agree. Most of my shop mishaps were not needing stitches. I just cleaned out the wound, taped it up tight, and went back to work. But I gotta tell ya I just found a product that's incredible. I had a bad gash last week that wouldn't stop bleeding. I decided not to go to the ER. I ran across a product called "Wound Seal". It's a package of four. It's a very fine powder that you pour directly into a bleeding wound, and then press tightly with your fingers for 30 seconds. The bleeding stops. I've had it on for 6 days, and a scab has formed, and no infection. It don't look pretty, but, if you were to go to the ER, at least it wouldn't be bleeding. Walgreens sells it...costs less than $8.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
First aid kits have been mentioned in posts... I've seen them mentioned, but they are not a big topic of discussion considering the shop environment most of us live with. As you mentioned - stop the bleeding and get help. I have a small kit with bandages and sanitary wipes and a gauze pads... not much else.

A major problem most of us face is the fact we work alone. My wife is off at work while I'm in the shop and even if she were home, she wouldn't hear me. In the event of a serious accident that would render me loosing conscience and serious bleeding... I'd be in a serious pickle!

The best shop first aid kit ought to be preventative medicine. We need to be extra careful as I'm sure you are. I am so aware of my situation, I must sweep the work areas at least 3 times during the day so as not to slip or trip on a wood chip while carrying my scary sharp chisels etc. A wood chip under a board during a rip cut can be extremely dangerous. Router bits need to be monitored for chips etc. etc. etc. If I'm confronted with an "uncomfortable" procedure, I will get a neighbor or wait for the wife to come home. And when I get tired, the work can wait, even if I'm almost done.

Thanks for the post - its' an important topic even if most of us don't like talking about it because there isn't a whole lot we can do in the event of a serious accident. Be safe...

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Kit

You fail to mention a phone and address in case it is bad and we need a ride into the clinic or hospital. After the bleeding in control let someone know, if it's bad phone first sometimes it's best to get help first Put our pride in our pocket so to speak.

Jerry

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I went to a Safety Supply store. Body harnesses, rope, all that stuff _and_ a dozen different First Aid kits. I explained that I was a wood carver and getting cut was the major risk. They pointed at the BC #2 kits, I read the grocery list and bought one for the truck and one for the house/shop.

Fortunately, I have not needed to use either one, can't recall what they cost, basically don't care.

I live in a village on HWY 16, one of the most dangerous winding mountain winter highways there is. 8 people killed in the last 6 weeks.
Then there's the wildlife collisions. Rice-burning Hondas just submarine under a moose that comes across the hood and into the windshield. I've attended some, people badly shook up but not a scratch. The vehicles are usually totalled, so is the moose/deer/elk/caribou/cougar/bear. . . . . .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts