Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Advanced mistake maker
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that slippery slope of becoming a woodworker is turning into a greased slope. 8 new clamps (for $20.00), and then anew Kreg jig. Is there some sort of therapy, a shot, or a pill I should take for slowing this down? Lol!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
The short answer... No!

Reactions: schnitz

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey it could be worse. I was really big into riding my Harley, then it broke big time. It sat in my shop for a while then one day instead of spending my money to fix the Harley I went to the airport and took a flying lesson. $5000 dollars later I got my private license. Talk about an expensive hobby!!!

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
I'm waiting for the Kreg police........

But until they come pee on your parade,I say....cool deal.Clamps,clamps clamps....lots of clamps.Got to love clamps.The Kreg joint comes in right dang handy.Made a nice shelf over the w/end for our gasp!....welding station....and used Kreg joints.Got a bunch of leftover wood from a big kitchen job and have been on a terror to use it up.

So,it might be several years down the rd.but one day you'll be working on this or that project and whamm,you'll be glad you have your new tools.

Reactions: schnitz

·
Registered
97 Posts
LOL I understand the OP Im also new to woodworking and my shop looks like I have been doing this for generations.... lol I find my self going to Flea Markets and yard sales and getting all kinds of goodies like 15 files for 5.00, a " WORKING" scroll saw for 8.00, Dremel tool for 3.00 and many more treasures... lol So to the OP start checking Yard Sales and Flea Markets... you be suprised what you can find.

·
Advanced mistake maker
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could waste your money on food and beer, okay not beer!
I'm from Wisconsin, so it's kind of a given that money spent on beer is money not wasted!:laughing:

All kidding aside, this can get to be a very spendy hobby-- not quite in the league of a private pilot, but it's sure creeping up on it. It will only get worse when I get back from a year in "the Box". I already have my mind set to get a jointer, and most importantly, a new Saw Stop table saw. We had one at work for about 48 hours, and I can see it's a form of safety technology I will HAVE to upgrade to.

·
Banned
310 Posts
Love Wisconsin, have a good friend in Mineral Point. They say you can't take it with you, but if you buy enough woodworking equipment you can build your own 'Box' for when you go, hey that's a money payback. Sorry but I grew up in the UK as a Monty Python fan.

·
Advanced mistake maker
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So,it might be several years down the rd.but one day you'll be working on this or that project and whamm,you'll be glad you have your new tools.

I've had the same thing happen already with several other tools, but it is kind of funny how those "buy it for one use, find several other uses for later projects" tools keep cropping up. Like my doweling jigs (and the box I made for them!). I have a 10" cat's paw nail puller that has found a new lease on use recently too. I hadn't used it in over 2 years, and now, it is used for hours on end. Pallet projects, gotta love them!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I love my dowelmaster jig, one of the best things I ever bought starting out. I really can't wait to make a case for it since it doesn't come with one. It deserves something nice, double dovetails if I ever get the courage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One piece of advice...once you get your shop going, never buy a festool...thought I had everything I needed until I bought the circ saw...now I am trying to figure out how to get a full setup and how much space I will need for a Green tool room

1 - 16 of 16 Posts