Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will be building my first major project soon, a custom plant shelf for the wife. I will be using both red and white cedar wood and am wondering what my finishing options are.

Some Googling around and searching on this forum pulled up sikkens Cetol SRD as a good choice. Will I have a problem using this finish on both woods? It will be constructed using mortise and tenons and rabbits to accept planks. I am assuming I will be fine finishing this piece as one big unit after constructing it?

Any other recommended finishes? Any tips on applying it outside of reading the instructions? This will be my first project I finish.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have finished several red cedar pieces I always do two coats of boiled linseed
oil then. 5 to 8 coats of a wipe on polurethane. And I think my stuff cam out great. It's durable and still holding up well here is am entertainment center I finished a while back.

ForumRunner_20130714_181015.jpg

·
Registered
26,334 Posts
I will be building my first major project soon, a custom plant shelf for the wife. I will be using both red and white cedar wood and am wondering what my finishing options are.

Some Googling around and searching on this forum pulled up sikkens Cetol SRD as a good choice. Will I have a problem using this finish on both woods? It will be constructed using mortise and tenons and rabbits to accept planks. I am assuming I will be fine finishing this piece as one big unit after constructing it?

Any other recommended finishes? Any tips on applying it outside of reading the instructions? This will be my first project I finish.
I think the Sikkens would work fine for a deck but for what you are doing I would use a marine grade spar varnish. The plant shelf will be exposed to water a lot more frequent then a deck would and the Sikkens is just a oil finish. I think you need a finish that is more waterproof. If you choose to use the Sikkens you just apply a liberal coat with a sprayer, brush or rag and let it set for about 10 minutes and wipe off any wet spots if any with a dry cloth. Then the next day apply another coat the same way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts