Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been given a lot of advice here and have made some progress on my projects. In the end I'll attach a picture of my coat rack.

But, up now is this vanity. It stripped very easily, the top needed to be done badly. It seems to be real mahogany I'm thinking. Maybe I'm wrong. Where should I stand with finishing it? I also have an oak coffee table that's coming along. What is the best topcoat for drinks and whatnot? Is there something to use over all others?

What stain do I need for the vanity? Also, same topcoat as what I will use on the coffee table possibly?

Vanity:

Coat Rack:

Thanks for any help!

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Nice coat rack.
Looks like one I made awhile back.
How did you attach the branches?
Here's mine.

image-1727042898.jpg

·
Registered
26,982 Posts
The piece looks like it's made out of birch to me and just stained mahogany color. That should make it easier. Minwax red mahogany would probably match the color. Birch is bad to blotch so you should wood conditioner prior to staining. If the color isn't dark enough or you need to modify it you can suppliment the color with a dye stain. For a water resistant topcoat I would use a Interior oil based polyurethane from Sherwin Williams.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It took Mahogany stain very well. Looks great. What topcoat should I consider? I already have some Minwax Semi-gloss polyurethane. Would that work well? Is that stuff strong? I might be too glossy for something like that I'm thinking.

·
Registered
26,982 Posts
It took Mahogany stain very well. Looks great. What topcoat should I consider? I already have some Minwax Semi-gloss polyurethane. Would that work well? Is that stuff strong? I might be too glossy for something like that I'm thinking.
As long as it isn't water based polyurethane that would work fine. Water based poly shouldn't be used on red mahogany stains. I think they must use iron oxide in the pigments of the red stain and the water reacts with the iron.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts