Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1400 sq ft of t&g pine to install on wall and ceiling. Can I get by using one coat of varnish stain. Sprayed on. Any other recommendations

·
Registered
26,674 Posts
Not sure if I would want to pre-finish it. If you do I believe I would use a thinner finish than varnish. Perhaps lacquer. I fear the boards won't go together very good with varnish on the edges. You might try a couple pieces of scrap and see. Then varnish stain is real easy to get the color darker on some boards than others since you don't have them together when you are doing it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Not sure if I would want to pre-finish it. If you do I believe I would use a thinner finish than varnish. Perhaps lacquer. I fear the boards won't go together very good with varnish on the edges. You might try a couple pieces of scrap and see. Then varnish stain is real easy to get the color darker on some boards than others since you don't have them together when you are doing it.
With pine I would at least spray a sealer on both faces before installing. If the room is subject to temperature and humidity swings varnish is a good choice since it is very soft and will move with the wood. But like Steve said, It might be a better idea to put the varnish on after installed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have installed a few thousand feet of t&g pine. We always pre-finish it. Never had a problem getting it together. But, it is always from the same mill, so wood from somewhere else could be milled to fit tighter and be a problem. I would recommend you try putting finish on a few small pieces, and see how they go together with finish on them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts