Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a plank of some beautifully spalted maple that I was staring at for a few weeks and finally decided to use it to make the wife a nice wall mounted wine rack. When I get it assembled on the wall I'll share pics, but for now I'm looking for suggestions on what to finish it with. I was thinking just a couple coats of SealCoat or some thinned BLO. I want to preserve the original color and not yellow it, and just want the spalting to really pop. As always, your help is much appreciated!

ForumRunner_20140216_213109.jpg

·
Registered
26,848 Posts
There are a number of different finishes you could use. If you like shellac you would be better off with the superblond like sawdustfactory recommended. I wouldn't use sealcoat as it has a initial amber tint to it and will continue to amber as it ages. Linseed oil is also prone to yellow as it ages. You could use most water based finishes however they tend to be bland so you might put a thin coat of linseed oil to make the grain pop. Any finish that is acrylic would remain clear. You could also use a cab acrylic lacquer or either type of catalyzed lacquer. If you have some scraps it would be good to try different finishes on them to see which you like the best.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I do have a bit of scrap cutoff to test on. I'll try a couple different applications in the next few days and let you know what I decide on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts