Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the method for finishing shop walls when they are sheeted with ply.

I just finished framing the interior of my shop. Temporary exterior siding is on right now and C.C. spray foam is going in within days. So I'm figuring out the interior sheeting. What I want to do is this

5/8's plywood
Green Glue
5/8's maple or oak plywood

But how do I cover the joints? Do you cut your plywood so it lines up on certain incriments so that the rails and styles are aligned every so many feet/inches. What I want to have as the finished effect is something like tudor panneling but not too deep because I don't want a bunch of rails with tons of sawdust sitting on them. 3/8's might be good thickness. Anyone have any tutorials showing this? or any good advice?

Are there any other ideas for finishing seams? Because paneling is all I could thing of besides like T&G boards which is to cabin-like for my taste.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
You want to use two sheets of 5/8" plywood on the interior walls of your "shop." And the outer sheet will be a hardwood? Please explain why?

I think we need to understand what you are trying to do before advising of the finish. Ordinarily I would just say paint it. However, it reads like you have something else in mind for the looks of the shop.

George

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I'd say spend your money elsewhere, if it's truly a shop, your going to run a board into a wall eventually...and when you do, your thousands of dollars of perfect walls will be scratched, dented and ruined. Also....dark walls are going to make it pretty hard to see...

·
Registered
95 Posts
My shop was built before I bought the property but mine is regular r-13 insulation with drywall just like in a house but the former owner beat it up pretty good so I decided to spend about $225.00 to sheet over everything with 4 x 8 sheets of particle board from Home Depot they were $8.00 a sheet but this way I wouldn't ever need to worry about where the studs were again plus I use a French cleat system for just about everything but as far as the joints go I just butted them together my shop is 13 feet high ceilings and I never think about the joints cause it's my wood shop

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two sheets of ply act just like two sheets of drywall. With green glue in between it's a sound isolation/higher STC rating. I'm building a sound isolated workshop. But that's not really related to my question. I'm wondering how best to hide the seams or what tricks people use to hide the seams in ply panels.

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
You could use hardwood floor thresholds to cover the seams. Seems a bit "overdone" for a shop but there's no reason a shop can't be beautiful in and of itself.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
I wouldn't use wood. What is your building code. Drywall has a fire rating and is also a good sound damper. It's easy to finish and will shed better light in the shop. Add blocking if you want to hang something on it.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.