Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making some drawers and am doing a nice finish on the fronts but am going to leave the plywood part of the drawers unstained. I want to still seal them with a quick, effective easy to apply (spray) finish. What do u recommend? Poly? Spray lacquer?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I suggest you avoid any oil based finishes. They will give off odor for a very long time. Lacquer works well, so does shellac or any waterborne finish. These three all have the added advantage of drying very quick.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I suggest you avoid any oil based finishes. They will give off odor for a very long time. Lacquer works well, so does shellac or any waterborne finish. These three all have the added advantage of drying very quick.
+1. :yes: I like using waterbase polyurethane, and spray the parts with the bottom out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Im getting ready to spray pre-catalyzed lacquer on the fronts of the curley maple drawer fronts for a chest of drawers. The sample pieces came out great so will proceed. What little I will do on the inside will also be pre-cat spray. I can't detect any odor after it dried and it left a very nice light coating that looks great after 2 coats on the sample pieces. Would probably do only one coat inside. Some folks advised using a 1 lb cut of shellac for the insides and others said let it stay natural. I'm sure there will be many opinions. Either way you go.....do sample pieces to see what you will get before doing anything on your completed project.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts