Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to this forum I was able to identify the type of wood I was dealing with on my 1950's headboard/footboard.

It's been positively identified as Ash.

My question is that I'm getting different advice for the finishing process and was hoping for some help... I have started the sanding process with my orbital sander and 150 paper and wanted to ask if sanding sealer was necessary before moving on to 220?

Also, I have been cleaning dust with pressured air, but was told that afterwards I should be wiping the wood down with laquer and paint thinner. Is this true?

Thanks in advance.

·
7,222 Posts
The sanding sealer is used if you need to minimize dust due to sensitivity.

If you are not sensitive to dust then you can proceed to the next grit.

Similar for compressed air vs wiping with solvent. The compressed air will blow out the dust, but into the air you are breathing.

I prefer to use my shop vac first, and then wipe down the surface with a paper towel wetted with denatured alcohol. Lower fumes than lacquer thinner or mineral spirits.

·
Registered
26,848 Posts
If you are going with a clear finish without stain then you could go ahead and put sanding sealer on it. If there is any stain in the plans the sealer would prevent the wood from taking the stain. Blowing the dust off with compressed air is enough however wiping the wood down with a solvent would let you see what it would look like before you commit yourself with the finish. If there is any problems it would be best to fix it before applying a finish. This is the reason for wiping the wood with a solvent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts