Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ton of 1x2x8 southern yellow pine that home depot had on Clearance for .50. I'm making picture frames out of it and stained my first one last night. I used a red mahogany stain and I'm not sure how it turned out. Part of me says it's fine part says its crap. Anyone have any suggestions on the right stain for this wood. My process consist of first sanding 80gr, 120, and lastly 220. After I wipe the dust off and generously put on the wood conditioner then I evenly applied my stain waited 15 minutes and wiped the rest off. Then this morning I did a second coat and let it set for 10 minutes then wiped it off. I really want to do 3 different stains so have a little variety in the frames because I plan to sell them on my website. After I finish the syp I will be buying pine that home depot carries and didn't know how that wood will take stain and which colors will look best. Any suggestions? I haven't found much of a definitive answer online so thought you guys might be able to help. Also does anyone know of a website or company I can buy maple, cherry, and oak for cheap and can have it shipped to me? I'll need 3/8 - 2" in thickness and 6"-8" in width and 24-36" in length to make boxes. I can't find any place in Dallas that doesnt charge an arm and a leg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts