Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I built a couple outdoor cedar planters and would like opinions on the best way to finish them. I would like the color of the wood to be enhanced and I would like some protection from sunlight. I merely just want to finish the outside of the planter, not the inside. I was looking at marine spar varnish, but I am not sure if it is a good idea to use that without finishing all sides of the boards. Otherwise I was just going to use a semi-transparent stain. Any suggestions?

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
You might investigate Sikkens. It's a product we use on decks and railings.
It's a far better finish for outdoor wood than any others we've tried.

Hi all,

I built a couple outdoor cedar planters and would like opinions on the best way to finish them. I would like the color of the wood to be enhanced and I would like some protection from sunlight. I merely just want to finish the outside of the planter, not the inside. I was looking at marine spar varnish, but I am not sure if it is a good idea to use that without finishing all sides of the boards. Otherwise I was just going to use a semi-transparent stain. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sikkens

I really like the sound of the Sikkens. Even better is the idea of a translucent stain. I've never used one before. I think that may be the way to go for what I want to accomplish. I found a couple Sikkens retailers in the area, but all they sell is by the gallon or 5 gallon. I just need a quart. :blink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts